• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rejected case reopened while I was traveling. Now I have a warrant.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluo0506

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I had a misdemeanor case reviewed and rejected by the San Diego district attorney's office about 8 months ago. Since then I had been travelling until recently when I found a mail enclosing a warrant for my arrest on my case that had been re-opened while I was overseas. The bail is $5000, is there anything I can do? How much would it usually cost for a local attorney to recall my warrant?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

I had a misdemeanor case reviewed and rejected by the San Diego district attorney's office about 8 months ago. Since then I had been travelling until recently when I found a mail enclosing a warrant for my arrest on my case that had been re-opened while I was overseas. The bail is $5000, is there anything I can do? How much would it usually cost for a local attorney to recall my warrant?
Each case is unique and there is no way we could estimate prices. Start making phone calls to local (to San Diego) attorneys.

LdiJ

Each case is unique and there is no way we could estimate prices. Start making phone calls to local (to San Diego) attorneys.
I agree...although I have to comment that having a DA re-open a case after rejecting charges is more than a bit odd.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree...although I have to comment that having a DA re-open a case after rejecting charges is more than a bit odd.
And even MORE of a reason for the OP to contact an attorney or three.

rluo0506

I was actually arrested for "resisting arrest" (go figure). The cops came in and arrested me upon my asking for my charges. They decided 3 hours later to charge me with disturbing the peace.

LdiJ

I was actually arrested for "resisting arrest" (go figure). The cops came in and arrested me upon my asking for my charges. They decided 3 hours later to charge me with disturbing the peace.
You really need to be consulting several attorneys.

justalayman

California

How about turning yourself in while you have somebody prepared to pay your bail.

CdwJava

More than likely it was not a REJECTION, but a decision not to file at the time. This is common with misdemeanors in many counties these days due to priorities and limited resources. Many misdemeanors will be filed before the statute of limitations expires rather than when first presented.

rluo0506

More than likely it was not a REJECTION, but a decision not to file at the time. This is common with misdemeanors in many counties these days due to priorities and limited resources. Many misdemeanors will be filed before the statute of limitations expires rather than when first presented.
That's what I thought to at the court, but when I visited the DA office the paper said "reviewed and rejected".

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

That's what I thought to at the court, but when I visited the DA office the paper said "reviewed and rejected".
Then they clearly had a change of heart. Likely after talking to the officers involved or getting additional information. They have one year to file charges, so until that year had passed, you were always at risk of being charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">