• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting a crime.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x2t47b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I found out about a crime a family member committed. I found stolen property in his room. A neighbor of mine had some items stolen from their garage and the items match the items in my family members room. The neighbor did not report the crime. I confronted my relative, but I told the relative that the crime was reported to the police, which it was not.

My family member freaked out and said he would tell the police that I gave him advice on how to commit the crime if I told the police.

I did not tell this family member anything about how to commit any crime.

If I go to my neighbor and then the neighbor tells the police, will I be charged as an accomplice?

CdwJava

If you were not complicit in the crime, it would be difficult to convict you. But, if your relative comes across as believable somehow, you might be charged.

While you have no affirmative obligation to dime off your relative, if the police do get involved and stolen property is found in a residence where you reside, you can be charged and possibly convicted of other crimes.

Perhaps you can convince the relative to return the property. Or, let the neighbor know what you found and the two of you call the police together.

Eekamouse

Did you tell your relative anything that could be construed as you telling him how to commit this crime? Why is your relative threatening you with this without there being any basis in fact?

Eekamouse

There must be some basis for him claiming you are involved in his crime or else you wouldn't care about his threat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">