• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required to Identify Yourself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

texxazztang

In Texas, Is it a law that if you ask someone if they are a cop, undercover agent, or even a store employee if you are in that persons store, do they by law have to tell you that they are?

CdwJava

texxazztang said:
In Texas, Is it a law that if you ask someone if they are a cop, undercover agent, or even a store employee if you are in that persons store, do they by law have to tell you that they are?
This sort of thing is an ancient myth going back at LEAST 40 years or so ... probably more.

The answer is, "No! - the 'undercover agent' or cop does NOT have to tell anyone what or who he is when they ask. They could tell you to pound sand, eat dung, or even claim to be Queen Elizabeth. But they do NOT have to say they are a cop.

When I was a child this tale was going around about asking undercover cops if they were narcs. So, at all the high school parties they'd have some yo-yo at the door asking everyone who came in if they were a police officer. Heck, I even bought the myth until I was about 18 myself!

Carl

O

Over30yrs

Carl is correct. The courts have ruled there is no obligation for an officer conducting a covert investigation to identify themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">