• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responding to a subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewber

MissouriWhat is the name of your state?

Not sure if this is the right category.

I am a licensed counselor in Missouri. I was issued a subpoena through an agency I worked at, though I have not yet been served. The names listed on the subpoena are not my clients (then names were for a mother and her minor daughter) either at the agency nor through my private practice. However, I beleive the case is referring to one of my clients. I submitted a hotline call to division of family services for a client who's step-uncle abused her. My client also disclosed that her cousin (the step-uncle's daughter) confided in her that the step uncle abuse her as well. I related this info to DFS when I called. I beleive the case for which I am being subpoenaed is the child molestation case for the cousin.

Given this, what is my responsibility once I am served? How best should I respond to the subpoena given it is not my client on the subpoena? How does HIPPA fall into this?

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">