• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraing Order Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbr821

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My girlfriends ex husband is filing a restraining order on me today. A few nights back I yelled at him for being so late in picking up his kids for the weekend. I approached his car and as he got out I told him he was always late and that we had plans. I told him he was a piece of garbage. After he left with the kids he went to the local police to file a complaint against me. He stated that he was not threatened by me, but that he felt threatened. I went to the police to file my report and the officer who took the report said I did nothing wrong even though he felt threatened because I did not threaten him.

My question is can I appeal a restraining order based on the police report. He will lie to the court and say he was assulted and that he could not get out of the car. The children did not hear any of this either but he will tell them that as well. Is there a chance the judge would not grant him a restraining order agaisnt me? Even if the order is granted does that mean I have to leave the house I live in each time he picks up and drops off his kids?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">