• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order In College

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meta The Cat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Greetings, pleasure to meet everyone, and I hope this is in the right thread. I have a simple question, and hopefully I can get some knowledge of this subject to help me.

I know the basics of a restraining order, but I wanna know what exceptions there are to restraining orders in regards to both parties going to the same school.

The police officer said he could arrest me whenever he wanted if she said I talked to her, and I would spend time in jail until a court date is assigned to fight it, even if she had no proof.
I'm obviously taking classes, and working towards a degree in programming, and I can't afford to be in jail. Especially if she does it during finals, and I can't miss my final. It seems illegal to be able to get me arrested on just a vocal whim when we're both legally enrolled in the same college. So isn't there some sort of loophole, or exception that allows proof to be presented when we're going to the same college? Like cameras on campus need to be checked before coming to my house and arresting me? I fear the worst pretty much.

Antigone*

Greetings, pleasure to meet everyone, and I hope this is in the right thread. I have a simple question, and hopefully I can get some knowledge of this subject to help me.

I know the basics of a restraining order, but I wanna know what exceptions there are to restraining orders in regards to both parties going to the same school.

The police officer said he could arrest me whenever he wanted if she said I talked to her, and I would spend time in jail until a court date is assigned to fight it, even if she had no proof.
I'm obviously taking classes, and working towards a degree in programming, and I can't afford to be in jail. Especially if she does it during finals, and I can't miss my final. It seems illegal to be able to get me arrested on just a vocal whim when we're both legally enrolled in the same college. So isn't there some sort of loophole, or exception that allows proof to be presented when we're going to the same college? Like cameras on campus need to be checked before coming to my house and arresting me? I fear the worst pretty much.

Wanna???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No loopholes. Follow the restraining order to the letter.

Meta The Cat

Doesn't answer my question, but thanks. I just want to know if she can ruin my life or not. Calling the cops during my finals is my biggest fear. She's a jealous ex, and I do have a new girlfriend.

Silverplum

From the CA Courts website:
Q: What if there is a restraining order against me but the protected person contacts me?

A: No matter what, you have to follow the court order. The order does not affect the protected person. It only affects what you can do.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1046.htm

I'm going to go ahead and assume that a college student can read and comprehend.

CdwJava

Is this a civil harassment order? Or, is this a domestic violence restraining order? In other words, is this a woman with whom you once had a relationship of some kind, or someone who was merely an acquaintance? Yes, it makes a difference.

Have you had a hearing on the TRO, yet? If so, what provisions were made for school? Do you have to maintain a specified distance from the protected person? Or, is it simply no contact is allowed? What does the order say?

Also, to make an arrest for a violation of a court order does not require that the police have witnesses or even check video, they CAN make the arrest based solely upon her statement if they choose to. However, unless it is a DV TRO or CPO the police will not likely be able to go to your house many hours later and arrest you as it was a misdemeanor not committed in their presence ... though, she can always make a citizen's arrest.

Most colleges are large places. The odds of the two of you bumping into each other should be small. Unless you share a major, the odds of you bumping into each other on campus should be rather slim.

Ultimately, you must adhere to the letter of the TRO or face jail. Yes, she can theoretically lie to the police and potentially get you in trouble. All the more reason to stay as far away from her as you can.

Just Blue

So. Why do you have a RO? And yes...This is a must answer question if you want assistance.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">