• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retrieving Property Seized During Murder Investigation - MD/VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmason

State(s): Maryland / Virginia

Hello,

So, long story short, a friend of mine borrowed my laptop and was staying at his roommate's place. The roommate (not the friend) was involved in a murder investigation. Not sure if the roommate in question is a suspect or not at this point.

So, all of the property in the house has been seized by the DA, most likely including my laptop. The friend can't even go inside the place, etc.

If my laptop was seized; could I go to the DA to get it back if I have the proof of purchase? I don't think my friend was given the voucher (or what the DA gives people who have their property seized).

What can I do to get my laptop back?

Thanks.

justalayman

if there is reason to believe there is something on the computer, you will not get it back until they determine it is of no value to the prosecution. If there is anything on it linked to the investigation, you may never get it back or at least, for a very considerable amount of time.

tmason

if there is reason to believe there is something on the computer, you will not get it back until they determine it is of no value to the prosecution. If there is anything on it linked to the investigation, you may never get it back or at least, for a very considerable amount of time.
Thanks. I think there may be a very small chance that the roommate touched the laptop. Just me and my friend had accounts on the computer and the roommate in question had his own laptop, etc.

If (most likely) there isn't any evidence on laptop or anything that is related to the investigation then do I (the owner of the laptop) just go to the DA's office? Or do I depend on the friend in this instance?

Thank you for your time and information.

justalayman

You can inquire at the police station involved and the prosecutors office. I suspect they will tell you that if it was seized, there is belief it contains information on it they want so that means you are not likely to get it back for awhile, if at all.

tmason

You can inquire at the police station involved and the prosecutors office. I suspect they will tell you that if it was seized, there is belief it contains information on it they want so that means you are not likely to get it back for awhile, if at all.
Darn, thanks. So I am just out a laptop? I can't sue my friend, etc. I assume.

Could I at least get the value of it via my proof of purchase?

CdwJava

If the property was seized pursuant to a search warrant, then the items cannot be released with the court's order. If it was seized by the police, then it can generally be released with the DA's permission.

As previously suggested, get into touch with the police department and DA's office handling the case and ask them about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">