• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rico

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAAAAAAAA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Is a sale valid if an asset is sold before its seized by big bro? Can they take any action to confiscate this asset if its been sold?

Thank you

racer72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Is a sale valid if an asset is sold before its seized by big bro? Can they take any action to confiscate this asset if its been sold?

Thank you
Yes, the sold item can be seized. The most extreme example of this was a guy's brand new 1969 Corvette that was stolen when it was a few months old. Years later, the car was found in a museum car collection. The title that came with the car had the VIN number changed. The car was taken and because the original owner had never collected from his insurance company, the car was returned to him. Because something is sold does not mean it is not still stolen. The buyer can also face possible criminal charges for receiving stolen property.

Last edited:

AAAAAAAAA

Thanks for the reply. I def wasn't specific enough.

My friend recently got in trouble with the law for drug violations . He was arrested and charged but let off on bail. Months later my friend feels like they might seize some of his personal assets but hasn't gotten a letter or court order of seizure.
My question is, if he sells any of his personal possessions, such as his car, boat or house and then they try to seize them after they are sold will there be any repercussions? Is the government able to retrieve these items under the law once they are sold?

Thanks in advance

racer72

You are talking about criminal forfeiture. In some states, you never listed yours, items considered bought with the funds generated by the sale of illegal drugs can be seized. Yes, things sold today could be seized after the sale. Selling the stuff would be called fraudulant conveyance. The money from the sales can be seized and/or ordered returned to the buyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">