• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to counsel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pain_spread

Im in North Texas. I recently was bonded out of jail so that I can work to make $$ for my family until my court date which is 3 months away. I was then told after bonding out that I did not qualify for a public defender based on the fact that I was able to bond out and therefore am not Indigent. My questions are as follows:

#1) Is that true? Can they deny me Public counsel if I truly cannot afford to hire a private lawyer?

#2) Can they require me to appear at my first court date (arraignment- 3 weeks away) if I do not have counsel, and if so, will they provide counsel at that time?

Any and all professional answers are appreciated.

seniorjudge

Pain_spread said:
Im in North Texas. I recently was bonded out of jail so that I can work to make $$ for my family until my court date which is 3 months away. I was then told after bonding out that I did not qualify for a public defender based on the fact that I was able to bond out and therefore am not Indigent. My questions are as follows:

#1) Is that true? Can they deny me Public counsel if I truly cannot afford to hire a private lawyer?

#2) Can they require me to appear at my first court date (arraignment- 3 weeks away) if I do not have counsel, and if so, will they provide counsel at that time?

Any and all professional answers are appreciated.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=310595

#1) Is that true?
A: Yes.

A: Yes and no.

racer72

Court appointed attornies are not free, even if are given access to one, you will still have to pay for their services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">