• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to privacy and camera survellance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanlafe

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My father lives on three acres of land with a neighbor about 200 feet away. The neighbor has 3 cameras aimed at my father's home and has been recording his activity. We recently erected a privacy fence in order to prevent the recording. The neighbor has now placed the cameras twenty feet in the air and still aimed at my fathers home. Are there any laws to protect my father's privacy?

CdwJava

sanlafe said:
My father lives on three acres of land with a neighbor about 200 feet away. The neighbor has 3 cameras aimed at my father's home and has been recording his activity. We recently erected a privacy fence in order to prevent the recording. The neighbor has now placed the cameras twenty feet in the air and still aimed at my fathers home. Are there any laws to protect my father's privacy?
Have you spoken to your local police department or the local District Attorney? It may not be illegal to record that which he can see from his property.

If someone did that to my property, they'd have a pretty boring video ... kids playing on the swing set, playing with the dog, a couple barbecues without liquor, and kids jumping in the sprinklers.

Speak to the police and the local DA. It might not be illegal in your state.

- Carl

Curt581

Personally, I'd be outside at 4:00 AM.... hosing the cameras down with a SuperSoaker filled with saltwater.

But that's just me... :D

Chris0309

Here's my spin on this...

sanlafe said:
Disclaimer: I'm not an Attorney and this is my opinion only.

In California there are no specific criminal statutes for Invasion of Privacy. I deal with this issue all the time during my surveillances.

There are certain standards to apply here (i.e. whether there is an expectation of privacy? are the actions harrassing?)

What you should look at is the civil issues concerning invasion of privacy-at least that's what I would do.

Invasion of privacy is more of a tort than a criminal issue in the matter as you described it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">