• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

robbery charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacy6767

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband was charged with robbery f2.

.the man accusing him to that was supposedly robbed was a druggy that we didn't even kno. My husband and two friends were heading to the store from our hotel and the guy asked for a ride to his friends and asked if they new where he could buy drugs. Mu husband said he would give him a ride but didn't do drugs. They dropped him off at a friends on there way to the store. A Few hrs later the police showed up and arrested my husband and his friends for robbery. They took my his husbands cell for evidence which nothing was on it and took my debit card deposit slip I deposited earlier for $170 my aunt gave me that money for our hotel stay and my husband had 150 in his pocket at the time he was arrested from his paycheck. They have the guy and my husband and his friends on camera from hotel leaving in the car and the other guy that said he was robbed not returning with them. Because they dropped him off down the road at his friends at his request. I don't kno why the guy is saying they robbed him but I kno my husband didn't. They indicted him and jury trial is June 30...is there any way for him to get out of this? It's the guys word against theirs with very little proof...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

.the man accusing him to that was supposedly robbed was a druggy that we didn't even kno. My husband and two friends were heading to the store from our hotel and the guy asked for a ride to his friends and asked if they new where he could buy drugs. Mu husband said he would give him a ride but didn't do drugs. They dropped him off at a friends on there way to the store. A Few hrs later the police showed up and arrested my husband and his friends for robbery. They took my his husbands cell for evidence which nothing was on it and took my debit card deposit slip I deposited earlier for $170 my aunt gave me that money for our hotel stay and my husband had 150 in his pocket at the time he was arrested from his paycheck. They have the guy and my husband and his friends on camera from hotel leaving in the car and the other guy that said he was robbed not returning with them. Because they dropped him off down the road at his friends at his request. I don't kno why the guy is saying they robbed him but I kno my husband didn't. They indicted him and jury trial is June 30...is there any way for him to get out of this? It's the guys word against theirs with very little proof...
How do you know the guy was a druggy if you didn't even know him? Your husband should have an attorney and that attorney should be able to have an idea of what evidence the prosecution has. Why were you at a hotel? Are you from Ohio? How do you know your husband didn't rob the guy? You weren't there.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How do you know the guy was a druggy if you didn't even know him? Your husband should have an attorney and that attorney should be able to have an idea of what evidence the prosecution has. Why were you at a hotel? Are you from Ohio? How do you know your husband didn't rob the guy? You weren't there.
I think we can assume that OP has reason to think of the accuser as a drug user based stating in her initial post:

My husband and two friends were heading to the store from our hotel and the guy asked for a ride to his friends and asked if they new where he could buy drugs.

That said, I guess her legal question is "How do we make these charges go away?" The answer is, based on the language used in her initial post: get an attorney. Preferably one that write English coherently.

How OP can help an attorney: provide proof of where money found in her husband's possession came from. Like that ATM receipt.

quincy

If your husband was charged with felony robbery in the second degree, there was some indication that a deadly weapon or physical harm (inflicted, attempt to inflict, threaten to inflict) was involved.

Here is a link to the Ohio Code (see 2911.02 Robbery): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911

What your husband faces with a conviction is 2 to 8 years in prison and up to $15,000 in fines.

If the prosecutor is pursuing this as a robbery in the second degree, there is little doubt that your husband needs a good attorney and as much evidence as he can gather to support the fact that he did not commit the crime. The prosecutor apparently believes he has enough evidence against your husband to support the charge.

Your husband's attorney will be checking the story about money from your aunt and from the paycheck, and your reasons for being at the hotel, and your husband's relationship to the "victim" of the robbery, and any and all other facts that may be pertinent.

The bottom line is that a forum is not going to help your husband. He requires the help of a skilled criminal defense attorney in Ohio. If money is an issue, an attorney will be appointed for him but a private attorney can preferable. This is ONLY because a private attorney will generally have more time to work with your husband on his defense. Public defenders often have overwhelmingly large case loads and cannot spend as much time on any one case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If your husband was charged with felony robbery in the second degree, there was some indication that a deadly weapon or physical harm (inflicted, attempt to inflict, threaten to inflict) was involved.

Here is a link to the Ohio Code (see 2911.02 Robbery): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911

What your husband faces with a conviction is 2 to 8 years in prison and up to $15,000 in fines.

If the prosecutor is pursuing this as a robbery in the second degree, there is little doubt that your husband needs a good attorney and as much evidence as he can gather to support the fact that he did not commit the crime. The prosecutor apparently believes he has enough evidence against your husband to support the charge.

Your husband's attorney will be checking the story about money from your aunt and from the paycheck, and your reasons for being at the hotel, and your husband's relationship to the "victim" of the robbery, and any and all other facts that may be pertinent.

The bottom line is that a forum is not going to help your husband. He requires the help of a skilled criminal defense attorney in Ohio. If money is an issue, an attorney will be appointed for him but a private attorney can preferable. This is ONLY because a private attorney will generally have more time to work with your husband on his defense. Public defenders often have overwhelmingly large case loads and cannot spend as much time on any one case
Appointed counsel in many counties are private attorneys that handle public defense cases. I am a private attorney and handle appointed defense cases. So you mis-spoke about Ohio public defenders. Many counties do NOT have public defender offices that handle felonies. Most of the big counties rely on private attorneys to take the appointed cases.

quincy

Appointed counsel in many counties are private attorneys that handle public defense cases. I am a private attorney and handle appointed defense cases. So you mis-spoke about Ohio public defenders. Many counties do NOT have public defender offices that handle felonies. Most of the big counties rely on private attorneys to take the appointed cases.
Oops. Sorry, Ohiogal. Thank you for the correction.

I actually think you have corrected me on this before, too.

I will post a sticky note on myself somewhere so I will remember next time. :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oops. Sorry, Ohiogal. Thank you for the correction.

I actually think you have corrected me on this before, too.

I will post a sticky note on myself somewhere so I will remember next time. :)
Well if her husband was arrested in Cleveland, at least we know he wasn't hit over the head with a gun:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/05/cleveland_police_to_stop_hitti.html

Ladyback1

And in some areas, even if they do have a Public Defenders office---that office is overworked, understaffed and ends up contracting w/ private attorneys to take the overflow.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And in some areas, even if they do have a Public Defenders office---that office is overworked, understaffed and ends up contracting w/ private attorneys to take the overflow.
Or if there is a conflict that the PD office can't handle -- true true true.

quincy

Well if her husband was arrested in Cleveland, at least we know he wasn't hit over the head with a gun: ...
One can hope.

I find it sad that it actually takes an agreement between the DOJ and the police to stop police officers from hitting people on the head with guns.

I know many good police officers but the stories coming out about the bad ones have caused some harm to the reputations of all (although I also believe these stories are necessary if we want change).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">