• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rules for a continuence on an out of state courtdate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TheBoss

What is the name of your state? IL

I have a court date set for Nov 23rd in Arizona. But I cannot make it. How do I get this to be continued to another date ? Thank you :)

seniorjudge

TheBoss said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I have a court date set for Nov 23rd in Arizona. But I cannot make it. How do I get this to be continued to another date ? Thank you :)
You file a motion for continuance with the court and send a copy to the prosecutor.

Then follow up on it.

If you do not get it granted, then there will be a warrant for your arrest when you fail to appear for court.

T

TheBoss

seniorjudge said:
You file a motion for continuance with the court and send a copy to the prosecutor.

Then follow up on it.

If you do not get it granted, then there will be a warrant for your arrest when you fail to appear for court.
And how do I do this correctly? What steps due I need to take before the 23rd?

seniorjudge

TheBoss said:
And how do I do this correctly? What steps due I need to take before the 23rd?
Have you bothered to talk to the prosecutor?

If not, that is your first call.

Then, if the prosecutor will not agree, file a motion asking that there be a continuance of your case to whatever new date you want (ask the clerk for the next available date) and send a copy to the prosecutor and the original to the court.

Then follow up on it.

Ask the court clerk if it was granted.

If it was not, then you have to be in court.

T

TheBoss

seniorjudge said:
Have you bothered to talk to the prosecutor?

If not, that is your first call.

Then, if the prosecutor will not agree, file a motion asking that there be a continuance of your case to whatever new date you want (ask the clerk for the next available date) and send a copy to the prosecutor and the original to the court.

Then follow up on it.

Ask the court clerk if it was granted.

If it was not, then you have to be in court.
Can I have my attorney that is representing me file the motion for myself?

seniorjudge

Q: Can I have my attorney that is representing me file the motion for myself?

A: Yes, because he is your attorney who is representing you.

T

TheBoss

seniorjudge said:
Q: Can I have my attorney that is representing me file the motion for myself?

A: Yes, because he is your attorney who is representing you.
I take it you are a judge ? And from your member name. Thank you for your help. :)

How long do I have before I have to talk to him about filing a continuence?

I take it that I should do it as soon as possible? Its three weeks until the court date.

seniorjudge

TheBoss said:
I take it you are a judge ? And from your member name. Thank you for your help. :)

How long do I have before I have to talk to him about filing a continuence?

I take it that I should do it as soon as possible? Its three weeks until the court date.
Q: How long do I have before I have to talk to him about filing a continuence?

A: A week ago.

T

TheBoss

Ok so I got a continuence. My original date was set for the 23rd of this month.

Anyone care to give me an estimate on what date will be set for my next court appearance.

Thank you :O)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">