• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safe and sober or Wreckless endangerment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ironman13

In MN, is it legal for the cops to travel over the speed limit without his emergency lights on? And is it legal for them to tailgate until the driver makes a mistake so he can stop them? The reason I'm asking is because the have a safe and sober campain that lasts 2 weeks and I've seen and heard of several incidents where the cop is driving more dangerously than the people the are going after. I personaly seen a state trooper going at least 75mph+ in a 55 past bar at closing time with no flashing lights on, just to get behind a car to mess with them for a few miles. When the driver didn't screw up he whipped around to go back past the bar again.

stephenk

"I personaly seen a state trooper going at least 75mph+ in a 55 past bar at closing time with no flashing lights on, just to get behind a car to mess with them for a few miles. When the driver didn't screw up he whipped around to go back past the bar again."

You must have great eyesight or a lot of time on your hands.

TYRIS

ironman13 said:
In MN, is it legal for the cops to travel over the speed limit without his emergency lights on? And is it legal for them to tailgate until the driver makes a mistake so he can stop them? The reason I'm asking is because the have a safe and sober campain that lasts 2 weeks and I've seen and heard of several incidents where the cop is driving more dangerously than the people the are going after. I personaly seen a state trooper going at least 75mph+ in a 55 past bar at closing time with no flashing lights on, just to get behind a car to mess with them for a few miles. When the driver didn't screw up he whipped around to go back past the bar again.

-Previous post which was answered....

No, they aren't allowed to drive like idiots either. I don't know if MN law absolves them of some liability if they operate with lights only, but I'm guessing that they need lights AND sirens to protect them.

However, consider that they understand they take on the liability of their infractions and can be subject to discipline if they are reported. Also, keep in mind that when we respond to a call if we were to go at the posted speed limit and not push the envelope to respond, that break-in or fight that we are responding to might involve your loved one. If we follow all the rules it might take us 5 minutes or more at a time when seconds could mean life and limb, or the security of your property. We know that timing is important so we push the envelope at times.

- Carl
-Answered again......

-Yes cops speed, whether it is to catch up to a suspected drunk driver or to respond to a "non-emergency" call...the very few even do it going to lunch.

As Carl stated in your previous post, the liability is usually on the officer.

Numerous calls for service are assigned "non-emergency" and some of them are actually in-progress calls for service. Most Officer's "break the rules" knowing they could get into trouble, just to get there as fast as possible.

ironman13

"You must have great eyesight or a lot of time on your hands."

Yes I do have good eyesight and I can also judge how fast he was going by the sound of the car and how quickly he went by. I'm not an idiot. When I said 75mph, I was being nice. Also, from where this took place, a person can see for about 2 1/2 miles. It made me mad the he would drive that fast past a driveway with no flashing lights, at the time when people normaly leave.
I do belive that cops should be looking for DUI's, but they shouldn't hunt for them. They use "gorilla" tactics to get more tickets. The state has competitions for the most DUI's during this time. The departments that win get more grant money. They also have a "hat trick" club for cops that can get 3 or mor DUI"s in one shift. This isn"t the first time they have done this either. That is why a couple of my friends an I were watching the cops drive by, to see them act like idiots. But, they get away with it.
That's why I had my original question. I want to get some awareness in the community of acts like this. All they repot is how many violations the give out, but not how many how many laws they broke to get them. And I know that there is alot of good cops out there, it's the ones that abuse there power I have a problem with.

Last edited:

CdwJava

ironman13 said:
I do belive that cops should be looking for DUI's, but they shouldn't hunt for them.
Gotta be sporting about it, is that it?

We "hunt" for all manner of criminal - not just DUIs. But late at night, DUIs are what you often find in cars ... dopers on bikes ... and thieves behind closed businesses. Its pretty standard fare.

What would you prefer the officers do? Sit around and wait for the crash?

They use "gorilla" tactics to get more tickets.
Not at all. (And it's "guerilla")

And DUI isn't a ticket in most states - it's an arrest. The arrest may result in a cite-and-release situation after processing, but it generally is not a citation in the field where the person is permitted to drive away.

And how do you think we find most DUI drivers and wanted criminals? Traffic stops for unrelated matters, that's how.

The state has competitions for the most DUI's during this time. The departments that win get more grant money.
You DO have a link or some supporting evidence for this statement, don't you? I can't imagine that it is a contest as you make it out to be. If it is, then that is absurd and I would sense serious lawsuits pending.

They also have a "hat trick" club for cops that can get 3 or mor DUI"s in one shift.
Interesting motiviational concept - and potentially tricky if defense attorneys find out about it. But, because they have such a "club" doesn't mean that the DUIs are not valid.

One department I was in used to issue pins and awards based on the number of DUI convictions you had. It certainly encouarged officers to find them. One thing you have to remember is that a DUI is a VERY time consuming affair for a misdemeanor arrest. It can take hours of time - more than most felony crimes! So you have to do something to motivate officers to make these arrests. Sometimes the motiviation is purely public safety ... other times, the motiviation is internal - such as a competition.

So long as the competition does not encourage sloppy or illegal practices, it is perfectly lawful and a valid way to motivate people.

This isn"t the first time they have done this either. That is why a couple of my friends an I were watching the cops drive by, to see them act like idiots. But, they get away with it.
Then call their Chief.

But you say you aren't watching them, you're hearing them.

In any case, you and your friends have a right to pose your concerns to the Chief and to the city council. If they agree with you then the problem will be solved. Realistically, you might be able to get the cops to slow down, but I doubt anyone is going to tell them to back off of "hunting" for DUI drivers.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">