• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TerrapinStat10n

What is the name of your state?
New York

Last April, in school I was arrested for Criminal Sale of Marijuana. They caught me, because they saw an exchange of money between students, but no exchange of drugs was seen. They pulled the students into the office and searched them and they said that I sold it to them. Is this search legal? The school officials may have had a reasonable suspicion to search, but because it isn't enough for probable cause for a police officer to search, could they legally arrest me for it? Or just punish me as per school rules?

TerrapinStat10n

New York

Also, I asked a school official about me signing a paper for a parking permit. The agreement on the permit says that "the school reserves the right to search your car". I asked him if that waives my right to deny a search to police and he said that it did, because everything that's on the school grounds is the school's property and they can relay it to the police. So, my question is: If everything that is on school grounds then belongs to the school, doesn't that make it impossible for a student to be charged with possession of a controlled substance because that student no longer owns the substance? Also, since criminal sale is based on one person having something and it transferring over to another person, how could someone sell it if they are no longer legally in possession of it? In this case, wouldn't the school, being in possession of it, be committing the crime?

You Are Guilty

TerrapinStat10n said:
New York

Also, I asked a school official about me signing a paper for a parking permit. The agreement on the permit says that "the school reserves the right to search your car". I asked him if that waives my right to deny a search to police and he said that it did, because everything that's on the school grounds is the school's property and they can relay it to the police. So, my question is: If everything that is on school grounds then belongs to the school, doesn't that make it impossible for a student to be charged with possession of a controlled substance because that student no longer owns the substance? Also, since criminal sale is based on one person having something and it transferring over to another person, how could someone sell it if they are no longer legally in possession of it? In this case, wouldn't the school, being in possession of it, be committing the crime?
You really ought to consider stopping smoking the weed.

garrula lingua

Mr. Fascist to you, pothead.
hahaha
Geez, times have changed. When I was in school & got caught doing something, I just shut up and sucked it up.
Oh, but - I wasn't selling weed.
How old are you, Terra ?
Juvie court usually has a diversion program & they may reduce your charge to allow diversion.
You need an attorney.
You're probably ticking everyone off (you really don't have a very mellow attitude, do you ?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">