• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seal and destroy arrest record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maxxiimm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? San Francisco, CA

I was arrested but charges were dropped. How do I get my arrest record sealed and destroyed? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? San Francisco, CA

I was arrested but charges were dropped. How do I get my arrest record sealed and destroyed? Thanks.
You first have to make the request to the prosecuting agency and the involved law enforcement agency holding the record. Effectively you have to show factual innocence. If the charges were dropped for lack of evidence or some other thing, but not dropped because the investigation determined you did not do it, then don't expect it to happen. From there you will have to go to court and try to convince a judge that you were factually innocent.

The process is described in PC851.8:

CA Codes (pen:833-851.90)

This does not happen with regularity. If the charge was based upon tangible facts, then don't expect it to be destroyed.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">