• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwinbc

What is the name of your state? Michigan
can a company you work for search your personal items such as a purse or car if they suspect you are under the influence of drugs or alchol ? I understand if it is their property such as a desk or locker which is in the buliding they have the right but for personal property? I would think that they would have to involve the police before they search any personal items but I could be wrong!!

O

oberauerdorf

Purse, pockets, other personal belonging you bring into the building yes. Car no.

HomeGuru

jwinbc said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
can a company you work for search your personal items such as a purse or car if they suspect you are under the influence of drugs or alchol ? I understand if it is their property such as a desk or locker which is in the buliding they have the right but for personal property? I would think that they would have to involve the police before they search any personal items but I could be wrong!!
**A: oh brother. Why are you asking?

J

jwinbc

I only ask because the company I work for want us to sign a new drug an alcohol policy.I do neither on or off the job,but I don't like the idea that they could search my personal items without the police involved.They are saying if the car is on their property they have the right to search.Also in the policy it states that company reserves the right to modify this policy in whole or part at anytime with or without notice.Is this standard or should we be notified of any changes in the policy.How can you abide by a policy if the policy could change and you not be notified?

HomeGuru

jwinbc said:
I only ask because the company I work for want us to sign a new drug an alcohol policy.I do neither on or off the job,

**A: then what the heck are you bitching about?

but I don't like the idea that they could search my personal items without the police involved.They are saying if the car is on their property they have the right to search.Also in the policy it states that company reserves the right to modify this policy in whole or part at anytime with or without notice.Is this standard or should we be notified of any changes in the policy.How can you abide by a policy if the policy could change and you not be notified?
**A: if you don't like their rules, then quit and find another job.

A

adapterz

Drugs, alcohol? give me a break. police should search someone if they are commiting a REAL crime. searching people randomly and without probable cause even when they aren't doing anything wrong is wrong. The reason is they might get you on another charge that they werent even looking for in the first place, like maybe your windows or tinted too much or some bs. Anyway, how about the time and hassle you have to go through? dont let them search. its your right to privacy especially if you haven't done anything wrong.

harbor14

adapterz said:
Drugs, alcohol? give me a break. police should search someone if they are commiting a REAL crime. searching people randomly and without probable cause even when they aren't doing anything wrong is wrong. The reason is they might get you on another charge that they werent even looking for in the first place, like maybe your windows or tinted too much or some bs. Anyway, how about the time and hassle you have to go through? dont let them search. its your right to privacy especially if you haven't done anything wrong.
You, sir, are mistaken. This has nothing to do with the police. It is company policy that is being talked about; it has nothing to do with any government agency.

Idiot.

O

oberauerdorf

You have been told the legal basis for this policy. If you do not agree with it, or if you cannot live with it, then you have the option of quitting.

Unless a policy violates your rights as a protected class (sex, age, race, religion, disability) then it is not illegal.

There is really no debate here. You do not have constitutional protection except from the government therefore, either accept the policy, including the change if and when it comes, or leave.

The company is also not required to inform you of any policy change, although it would be prudent for them to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">