• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search anytime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floridanative10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

One of my brothers friends recently became a police officer in the city that I grew up in. He told my brother that my name is on some sort of black list where I can be pulled over and searched whenever for whatever reason. Now, when I was a teenager I admit that I came into contact with the law multiple times and was arrested three times. But I never had any felonies or any convictions for that matter. All of my cases were settled the same way with adjudication withheld. Is a list like this legal? Isn't this a form of profiling? I had a feeling something was up when I would get pulled over almost everyday for not having a light on my bike and get searched. If this is illegal please let me know because I would like to file a grievance right away.

Thank You

CdwJava

Unless you are on probation or parole, they cannot legally search you without consent or good cause.

Someone's pulling your chain. Either that, or your brother's friend is a moron.

Oh, and if you want to keep from getting stopped at night, PUT A LIGHT ON THE BIKE!

There is a "given" in police work that says there are generally only three types of people riding bikes at night: Those looking to buy dope, those looking to sell dope, and those looking to steal things so they can buy dope. If you're riding around without a light late at night, you might as well wear a sign that says, "Stop me!" Now, it may be that the police have an unofficial list of individuals they suspect are up to no good and they want to focus on, but they still have to follow the law with regards to detention and searches.

- Carl

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">