• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search and Entrance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dubyacheney04

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Officers came to my friend's dorm room which I was in on a complaint of smell of marijuana. Upon the door being opened they shortly thereafter entered the room without warrant, without permission and without announcing. On the other side of the room, not visible from the door, I had a bag of marijuana sitting on a couch in the open. When getting to the other side of the room the officer saw it, confiscated it and I was charged with possession class D. The officers claimed that the reason they could enter the room was because there was a closed pocket knife on top of a desk which they saw, and that gave them the right to enter and secure the room. Is this true or did the officers illegally enter and illegally confiscate? Thank you for any advice.

Neal1421

dubyacheney04 said:

Officers came to my friend's dorm room which I was in on a complaint of smell of marijuana. Upon the door being opened they shortly thereafter entered the room without warrant, without permission and without announcing. On the other side of the room, not visible from the door, I had a bag of marijuana sitting on a couch in the open. When getting to the other side of the room the officer saw it, confiscated it and I was charged with possession class D. The officers claimed that the reason they could enter the room was because there was a closed pocket knife on top of a desk which they saw, and that gave them the right to enter and secure the room. Is this true or did the officers illegally enter and illegally confiscate? Thank you for any advice.
No, they did nothing illegal in this situation.

acmb05

dubyacheney04 said:

I would be more concerned with being kicked out of school than whether they came in illegallly or not.

dubyacheney04

Easy buddy, its first offense possession class D, I already spoke with the Dean I will not be kicked out of school. No need for your condescending reply, get a life.

CdwJava

They had cause to enter due to the odor of marijuana. I suppose one could make an argument to enter to secure any visible weapons for their safety, but if this was a folding pocket knife that was closed and sitting on a dresser, the safety argument is weak.

But, you say they came on a complaint regarding the odor of marijuana. Smelling that odor would often be sufficient to permit entry.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">