• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search and Seizure help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RickeyD87

ok. say the police had a search warrant for my house, and lets just say they were searching for drugs. Would they be able to search my safe? or how about a small jewerly box with a lock on it? thanks in advance.

justalayman

RickeyD87 said:
ok. say the police had a search warrant for my house, and lets just say they were searching for drugs. Would they be able to search my safe? or how about a small jewerly box with a lock on it? thanks in advance.
If the search warrant was for the premises, yes. They can look anywhere there could forseeably be drugs hidden and those two places you noted would fit the bill.

CdwJava

Yep!

I had a guy once deny me entry into his gun safe on a search warrant and he bragged that it was bolted to the floor so we couldn't remove it. I merely told him an officer would remain in his house all night, a work crew would be by in the morning, and we would either cut a hole through the side or top of his safe or we would lift it out of the ground and he could pay for the damages.

After a little less than an hour he opted to let us look inside.

- Carl

justalayman

CdwJava said:
Yep!

I had a guy once deny me entry into his gun safe on a search warrant and he bragged that it was bolted to the floor so we couldn't remove it. I merely told him an officer would remain in his house all night, a work crew would be by in the morning, and we would either cut a hole through the side or top of his safe or we would lift it out of the ground and he could pay for the damages.

After a little less than an hour he opted to let us look inside.

- Carl
Did you find the "goodies" you expected were there?

CdwJava

justalayman said:
Did you find the "goodies" you expected were there?
Yep! I was looking for guns ... and, guess what I found in the gun safe! :D

He was in violation of his DV TRO and they were evidence of an assault against his family members ... a good time was had by all!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">