• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search of Wallet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dukefan1342

I'm from the District of Columbia. I recently lost my wallet and it was found and turned into the campus police department. The campus police department then searched through it and found one of my fake ID's and I'm now being charged for that. However, I was not attempting to use that ID at any point and there should be no probable cause since the only reason they came into possession of my wallet was because it was turned into them since it was lost. Was searching my wallet in this instance lawful?

CdwJava

Well, if they did NOT search your wallet for ID, how would you begin to hope to get it back?

Yes, in general, a search of the wallet to find contact info to return it to you is lawful.

quincy

I'm from the District of Columbia. I recently lost my wallet and it was found and turned into the campus police department. The campus police department then searched through it and found one of my fake ID's and I'm now being charged for that. However, I was not attempting to use that ID at any point and there should be no probable cause since the only reason they came into possession of my wallet was because it was turned into them since it was lost. Was searching my wallet in this instance lawful?
Yes. Searching your wallet was the only way to determine who the wallet belonged to.

quincy

Following is a link to the DC law on misrepresentation of age which can be charged as a misdemeanor. If charged, a first-time offender can be eligible for a diversion program which allows the offender to escape having the criminal charge become part of his/her criminal record.

D.C. Code §25-1002: https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/25-1002.html

Possession of a fake ID can also result in school disciplinary actions. The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) reports violations of the law (or alleged violations of the law) to schools in the area and, of course, the campus police department reports violations to the school. A misdemeanor conviction can affect school scholarships and financial aid and future employment opportunities.

I agree that it would be smart to consult with an attorney in the DC area if charged with possession of a fake ID. There are local attorneys who are experienced in representing student offenders and many who will offer payment plans to fit a student's budget. Depending on the particular school, there might also be a school legal aid office that provides legal assistance to students.

Last edited:
So then why did you have it?

The bottom line is that you possessed a forged document. Get an attorney.
No. His unattended wallet may have at some time contained a forged document. The police don't have much of a case unless the OP helped build it for them.

quincy

No. His unattended wallet may have at some time contained a forged document. The police don't have much of a case unless the OP helped build it for them.
The police have all they need to charge him with possession of a fake ID. Most fake IDs are created using the picture of the possessor of the ID. Hard to argue it is not your fake ID when you are pictured on the card.

Although it is always possible that an attorney could get the charge dismissed, that seems highly unlikely if dukefan1342 claimed the wallet and its contents as his. The best outcome could be that he is offered diversion and the school does not revoke aid.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
NO, the wallet contained the forged document when the police looked in it, not "at some time".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">