• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search warrant obtained two hours later?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stan03

What is the name of your state?Arkansas

Can the police make you leave and stay away from your residence while
a search is being made at the residence?

CdwJava

stan03 said:
What is the name of your state?Arkansas

Can the police make you leave and stay away from your residence while
a search is being made at the residence?
Yes.

The police do not have to allow you to wander around the house with them as they search.

They can also secure it and keep you out while they go and obtain a search warrant.

- Carl

smutlydog

CdwJava said:
Yes.

The police do not have to allow you to wander around the house with them as they search.

They can also secure it and keep you out while they go and obtain a search warrant.

- Carl
You have to admit it was a little strange for them to ask him to leave.He could of came back with a weapon or possibly commited suicide somewhere else.I would of thought that they would of had a police officer wait outside with him while the home was searched.

CdwJava

smutlydog said:
You have to admit it was a little strange for them to ask him to leave.He could of came back with a weapon or possibly commited suicide somewhere else.I would of thought that they would of had a police officer wait outside with him while the home was searched.
Well, "leave" could have meant that they asked him to remain outside. Or, they might have had a search warrant but no cause to detain him if he wanted to go elsewhere.

- Carl

stan03

Arkansas
Don't I have the right to veiw search making sure it stays within the scope
of the warrant?
They actually told me they would have to follow me back to my bedroom
and get dressed, then I would have to go SOMEWHERE ELSE and they would
call me on my cell phone when search was completed.

CdwJava

stan03 said:
Don't I have the right to veiw search making sure it stays within the scope of the warrant?
No, you don't. And they don't have to risk the possibility that you might attack them, distract them, or even destroy evidence in the process.

They actually told me they would have to follow me back to my bedroom and get dressed, then I would have to go SOMEWHERE ELSE and they would call me on my cell phone when search was completed.
This kind of thing is not uncommon. We don't necessarily tell them to go somewhere else, but, we limit the occupant's mobility. Typically the occupant(s) will be asked to remain in one specific room, or, to wait outside or elsewhere. If they are not detained, then they are free to go where they choose as long as it is out of the search area (i.e. off the property).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">