• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search Warrant questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jr549

The warrant in question was issued in Allegheny County, PA.

This is an iffy subject and one that I will try and be as specific about without going into specifics. The warrant does not target me but someone who was close to someone I know. The warrant was issued for a search of the premises and seizure of all electronics including computers and all storage media devices. From what I understand the police came and arrested the suspect and started gathering all the electronic equipment in the house and searched the equipment and storage media on the premises. I was finally able to read the warrant for myself and noticed that in the description it said "to be seized and searched at a later time." The suspects attorney is trying to have the warrant thrown out on this basis. Is this a possibility? Are the police allowed to make a search of the computer inside the premises to determine if the computer and storage devices are what they are looking for before seizing the equipment or did they make a big mistake?

Also I forgot to add that there was a young girl who was questioned. When the mother asked to see her daughter the police said they weren't done taking her statement. She's 17 yrs old. Can she opt to talk to the police without her mothers consent or the police getting permission first?

Last edited:

Just Blue

The warrant in question was issued in Allegheny County, PA.

This is an iffy subject and one that I will try and be as specific about without going into specifics. The warrant does not target me but someone who was close to someone I know. The warrant was issued for a search of the premises and seizure of all electronics including computers and all storage media devices. From what I understand the police came and arrested the suspect and started gathering all the electronic equipment in the house and searched the equipment and storage media on the premises. I was finally able to read the warrant for myself and noticed that in the description it said "to be seized and searched at a later time." The suspects attorney is trying to have the warrant thrown out on this basis. Is this a possibility? Are the police allowed to make a search of the computer inside the premises to determine if the computer and storage devices are what they are looking for before seizing the equipment or did they make a big mistake?

Also I forgot to add that there was a young girl who was questioned. When the mother asked to see her daughter the police said they weren't done taking her statement. She's 17 yrs old. Can she opt to talk to the police without her mothers consent or the police getting permission first?
Please have the "someone close to someone I know" post for his or herself. Thanks!

Blue

jr549

I tried to get her to ask here but she's dead set that she knows more about what's going on than I do. I'm just trying to help her be as informed as possible for whatever may come up. This guy may or may not be a threat to my family so I also want to know. If you can't give me any information then ok.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...it said "to be seized and searched at a later time."

It WAS searched at a later time. The time after it was seized was a "later time".

I fail to see a problem if they are permitted to seize EVERYTHING and decide on site that there are certain things they do not want to seize.

If that is all the attorney has to go with I don't think he'll get very far.

Then again, as you said, you don't have all the information so this is all pretty pointless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">