• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search Warrant w/o Judges signature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

ja1724

CT,

My home was recently searched by police. I was not home at the time. Upon receiving the police report I noticed the search warrant was never signed by the judge. The was a letter in the police report dated 2 days after the search warrant from the judge stating he intended to sign the warrant but "inadvertantly, neglected to sign it." So was this search legal due to "good faith" or illegal? Thanks for any help on this matter.

HomeGuru

ja1724 said:
CT,

My home was recently searched by police. I was not home at the time. Upon receiving the police report I noticed the search warrant was never signed by the judge. The was a letter in the police report dated 2 days after the search warrant from the judge stating he intended to sign the warrant but "inadvertantly, neglected to sign it." So was this search legal due to "good faith" or illegal? Thanks for any help on this matter.
**A: what was found in this search and what is your police record like?

J

ja1724

3 dead bodies. My record is perfectly clean. This info really doesn't pertain to the question being asked. Oh BTW, I didn't kill them.

HomeGuru

ja1724 said:
3 dead bodies. My record is perfectly clean. This info really doesn't pertain to the question being asked. Oh BTW, I didn't kill them.
**A: then what were 3 dead bodies doing in your home. Are you a cannibal or practicing for your surgeons test? Or perhaps you work for CSI and decided to take some work home?

HomeGuru

ja1724 said:
3 dead bodies. . This info really doesn't pertain to the question being asked.

**A: oh so we got smart asses that post a question, then tell us contributors what info pertains and what doesn't. Go figure.

divgradcurl

So was this search legal due to "good faith" or illegal?
Who knows. But the police CAN perform a lawful search based on a defective warrant if they acted in good faith -- whether or not their reliance on the defective warrant was in "good faith" or not will depend on ALL of the facts.

HomeGuru

Good faith

I myself prefer Blind Faith.

I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.
Oh, this is my home.
Oh, 3 dead bodies.
Oh no.

J

ja1724

I used to be a contract killer, but have long since retired. I was holding someone elses "work" while they dug the holes.
Bad move huh?

CdwJava

If the judge had been notified, and had approved the warrant prior, the procedural error due to a lack of a signature is probably not going to invalidate the warrant. We (the police) CAN get telephonic warrants as well. This sounds like a procedural problem that is not going to invalidate the search unless CT has a law requiring a handwritten signature ... and I doubt it does.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">