• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ditzymiss

What is the name of your state? New jersey

In my previous thread, I stated, that the police arrested my son for breaking into an abandoned house and did not search the vehicle. They said in NJ you have to have a search warrant, not just probable cause, so they impounded the car. Is this true that they need a search warrant? They have to take inventory at the impound yard, now anything that would be there has been tampered with, no?

The Occultist

Once your son was arrested, a search warrant was no longer needed to search the car. When the car was impounded, the police probably did go through the car, legally, to do an inventory of the items inside.

ditzymiss

Thanks for the reply, this is what I thought, so now I'm wondering why they are lying about needing a search warrant. They have filed for forfeiture, at this point I am resigned to losing the car, but want to know when I can go get the tags and his personal belongings. The chief of police said he didn't know the law as to when I could do that....wondering what is going on here. Help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">