• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search Warrants for a marijuana grow op

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OlRoy

What is the name of your state? NC

Say the police suspect you of growing a few plants and they get a warrant. What is likely to be on the warrant that they are looking for? Once they find the grow can they continue searching through every nook and cranny in your house even if they already found what they are looking for?

What if on the warrant they say they suspect your growing in your living room closet for whatever reason... Are they only allowed to go from the front door strait to the living room closet and if they go or search anywhere else in the house is that illegal?

HomeGuru

OlRoy said:
What is the name of your state? NC

Say the police suspect you of growing a few plants and they get a warrant. What is likely to be on the warrant that they are looking for? Once they find the grow can they continue searching through every nook and cranny in your house even if they already found what they are looking for?

What if on the warrant they say they suspect your growing in your living room closet for whatever reason... Are they only allowed to go from the front door strait to the living room closet and if they go or search anywhere else in the house is that illegal?

**A: warrants are written in general rather than specific terms to cover all the bases ie. warrant to search the premises and all occupants therein located at 1234 Elm Street.....

O

OlRoy

Re: Re: Search Warrants for a marijuana grow op

Hmm i was under the impression that they were really specific...

M

Mike101

In NC the items that the police want to look for need to be specific. The warrant is usually for the persons whole residence. Depending on what they have listed determines how far the search can go. If they are searching for an item such as a grow lamp and look inside something the size of a match box that would be exceding the scope of the warrant. If they list seeds then they are allowed to more or less look anywhere. If they have three specific items listed and they locate all of those items the search needs to stop. If they have reason to believe that there is other illegal items they need to go get another warrant. The more an officer drifts away from these guidelines the easier it is for the warrant to get chucked.

O

OlRoy

Thanks mike, if it ever happend would the person whose house the warrant is for be allowed to video tape the search?

M

Mike101

Yes you could video tape the search as long as doing so does not put an officer in danger or hinder the search.
Videos keeps the honest cops honest and weeds out the ones that need to be weeded out.

O

OlRoy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

There's nothing like living an unsavory life, is there OlRoy?

IAAL
If i honestly believed it was unsavory i wouldn't do it. The only valid argument i have heard as to why i shouldn't smoke marijuana is that by buying from a dealer you are indirectly supporting crime like street violence and the cartel. Of course if it were decriminalized or legalized drug dealers wouldn't be a problem... But by growing your own you are affecting the pubilc as much as having oral sex. At any rate this is just reasearch. :p

Thanks again mike :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">