• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

searched by a store manager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpb98

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I wanted to know if it was lawful or legal if a officer of the law told a store manager to body search someone suspected of shop lifing . Is this legal or does it vilolate the person getting searched if it was the store manager performing the search.

Last edited:

gpb98

is it legal ? can a store manager body search you.

Illinois
My seventeen year old Daughter was with her Friend in a retail store.
He went to the dressing room to try some jeans on while he was inside the dressing room he tore the security devices off of a two peice jogging suit and concealed the pants under his own pants and concealed the jogging suit top
rolled up inside of a jacket of his own.I had sent my Daughter to the store to purchase me some shop vacum bags. After the purchase they started to leave the store. as they were leaving the security alarms went off on him he stopped and went back in the store.My Daughter had no knowledge of the items that he had concealed on his person When he was in the dressing room the secuity devices he removed stuck to his keys that he put in his pocket by mistake. when he went back the store manager detained them until the police officer arrived he seached her friend and found the items that he shop lifted. The Police officer then had the store manager search my daughter and found nothing she had told them she had no involvment with his intensions or his actions. Then the officer arrested her and transported her to the county jail. and charged her with thift under $ 300.00

CdwJava

Was anything untoward alleged in the search? Was she allegedly fondled or groped in an inappropriate manner? If not, then there isn't much to do about it.

The police would be permitted to search a person in this circumstance. The officer, for whatever reason, asked the manager to do the search (not a good idea, but likely perfectly legal). If the search was limited to pockets, clothing, carried items, etc., then there is no problem. If she had to strip down or something, then we might have a problem.

And I would be extremely skeptical of your daughter's lack of knowledge of her friend's activity. Generally kids no of this sort of thing and the non-thieving party justifies their complicity by telling themself that they did not Do the theft ... they just went along with it. All because she did not take anything (this time) does not mean she had no knowledge of it, or that she had not been involved in the past.

Hopefully she learns from this and chooses her friends more wisely in the future.

- Carl

Last edited:

justalayman

gpb98Then the officer arrested her and transported her to the county jail. and charged her with thift under $ 300.00[/QUOTE said:
And what merchandise were they attributing this theft to, the same merchandise as the friend or other merchandise?

gpb98

merchandise taken

Yes the merchandise was the same they found in his posession. Also at the time she had about $50.00 dollars with her and has been raised never to steal or take anything that dosent belong to her. The items that he shop lifted were items that he was tring to get to give to her without her knowing
to give to her later for Christmas.
Is it legal for the police officer to use strong profanity agaist her.
The police officer also caused bruises to her arm when he used unnecessary roughness when she wasn't resisting arrest. I documented some pictures of the bruises. Is there anything that can be done? The merchandise she bought they kept. What About never allowing her to have the SIMPLE right to make a phone call to her Parents? I never knew what even happened to her after not hearing from her when she has instructions to call if something goes wrong.After a while I left looking for her and could not find her anywhere .I found her empty car in the parking lot of the store. Then I went to the police Station I was told that She had been incarcerated.

CdwJava

gpb98 said:
Yes the merchandise was the same they found in his posession. Also at the time she had about $50.00 dollars with her and has been raised never to steal or take anything that dosent belong to her.
How a person has been raised does not always mean they adhere to their teachings or don't push the boundaries. It's what kids do.

The items that he shop lifted were items that he was tring to get to give to her without her knowing to give to her later for Christmas.
That's not good as it will look more like she was involved.

Is it legal for the police officer to use strong profanity agaist her.
Legal, yes. It might be out of policy and improper, but not unlawful.

The police officer also caused bruises to her arm when he used unnecessary roughness when she wasn't resisting arrest. I documented some pictures of the bruises. Is there anything that can be done?
I thought she was already detained? How did the officer bruise her arm?

If her arm is bruised, you can always file a complaint to the department or hire an attorney for a civil suit. But, there are always two sides to a story ... keep that in mind. You weren't there so you don't really know what transpired.

The merchandise she bought they kept. What About never allowing her to have the SIMPLE right to make a phone call to her Parents?
Notification is a matter of state law, and it might not be required unless she is being booked in to jail or juvenile hall.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">