• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Searching for criminal case files from 50 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JSGinMS

Arkansas conviction for rape. I have no exact details but would like to research this case, what steps can I take?

CdwJava

Arkansas conviction for rape. I have no exact details but would like to research this case, what steps can I take?
Uh ... start with the jurisdiction where the case occurred. The local law enforcement agency and maybe the courthouse where the case was heard (if it was prosecuted). Unless the suspect is still languishing in prison, chances are the case file no longer exists, but, you might get lucky. Or, you might be able to find archived news stories about the case and maybe one or more of the investigators might still be alive somewhere.

If you don't even know where it happened, start with names and google them and see if you pick up any leads to help you identify jurisdiction. Keep in mind that cases from even 20 years ago can be hard to locate, so 1 50 year old case will be very difficult and almost certainly none of it will be available electronically unless the various participants were profiled in the past couple of decades or the case hit the news or an appellate decision in the last 20 years or so.

JSGinMS

RE: Arkansas Case

I am not sure of the jurisdiction. I do know he lived in Sherwood,AR. I believe it more than likely would be North Little Rock area. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge he may have served a mere 7 years in prison and 7 years in a mental hospital. He abducted and raped two twelve year old girls, but I am do not have their names.
I know that it was broadcast on CBS news as him being wanted for this offense before being captured. I would suspect in the late fifties this would be memorable to most in the area.
I just wasn't sure what my rights would be to go searching for information in this case. Thank you so much for your advice!!

Julie

Uh ... start with the jurisdiction where the case occurred. The local law enforcement agency and maybe the courthouse where the case was heard (if it was prosecuted). Unless the suspect is still languishing in prison, chances are the case file no longer exists, but, you might get lucky. Or, you might be able to find archived news stories about the case and maybe one or more of the investigators might still be alive somewhere.

If you don't even know where it happened, start with names and google them and see if you pick up any leads to help you identify jurisdiction. Keep in mind that cases from even 20 years ago can be hard to locate, so 1 50 year old case will be very difficult and almost certainly none of it will be available electronically unless the various participants were profiled in the past couple of decades or the case hit the news or an appellate decision in the last 20 years or so.

justalayman

Your rights to search public records would be the same as anybody else; generally unfettered BUT

without more specific information than what you have, no agency is going to provide you with anything. You need to request fairly specific and clearly identifiable records for any state agency to comply with the request (and as Carl stated, there may not even be any records to disclose any longer).

You are on a fishing trip but don't even know the species of fish you are trying to catch. It would appear you have a lot of research to do before you even get to the point of seeking official records.

FlyingRon

There are a number of websites (including google) that archive old news sources. Some newspapers maintain their own newspapers. You can search through there to see if you can come up with some of the generals that would lead you as to where you look further.

It's called research. It's not a legal quesiton.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">