• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seatbelt in Police Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ConcernedZ

State: Vermont, Caledonia County, Town Police incident, Subject is underage (17 years old)

In Vermont it is required by law to wear a seatbelt while driving in a car.
"Click it or ticket."

So the subject is located in a "Park and Ride" and was drinking alcoholic beverages in a friends car. Police show up, subject is charged with underage drinking, and is given diversion paperwork for that. After being cuffed and put into the car subject requested to be belted for safety reasons the officer refuses. Then the subject says that it is state law to be buckled at all times and the police say "We'll drive real careful." Would this be misconduct or endangering a minor? If not is there any way that the subject would be able to lodge a complaint on the police officer involved?

Thanks you very much will be on for a bit longer tonight and then again tomorrow evening for sure.

racer72

The subject is free to file a complaint with the police department. Hope he realizes this will not help him at all with the charges brought against him and will not reduce or eliminate any penalties.

OHRoadwarrior

I gotta confess.... If I was driving, I would have been "cut off" and hit the brakes!!!:) You are free to exercise your right to request another officer issue this officer a ticket. Expect him to decline.

xylene

I strongly suggest your friend read the entirety of a law

http://dmv.vermont.gov/safety/safety/seatbelt

Paying special attention to (b4)

Before playing jerky to a cop after he is in custody.

LdiJ

I gotta confess.... If I was driving, I would have been "cut off" and hit the brakes!!!:) You are free to exercise your right to request another officer issue this officer a ticket. Expect him to decline.
Sorry, but I don't find that to be funny. If a minor child of mine got hurt in the back of a police car I would raise holy heck. I have friends who are cops and I hate to see things said that cause innocent, law abiding citizens to have a negative opinion about cops.

tranquility

Go ahead and make a complaint if you'd like. There will be no value to son, but it might get the officer a finger wagging since there are no damages. However, in my state many years ago and before the mandatory seat belt law, the name for when a dog would run in front of police car when an onery suspect was in the back seat in handcuffs was a screen test. (for the screen between the officer and suspect) Unoffically, of course.

You Are Guilty

Since screen tests obviously no longer exist, a related move, which primarily involves testing the headroom of the back seat of the cruiser when loading the suspect into the RMP, also does not exist either. And it is certainly never used against mouthy teenagers.

But one can always file a formal complaint for whatever they want, whenever they want.

You Are Guilty

My fault, hard to convey tone with pure text. I should have added a [facetious][/facetious] tag around that :D

Interesting thread derailment: facetious is one of only three words in English that contain all the vowels in alphabetical order. (Screw you, "y"!)

Just Blue

My fault, hard to convey tone with pure text. I should have added a [facetious][/facetious] tag around that :D

Interesting thread derailment: facetious is one of only three words in English that contain all the vowels in alphabetical order. (Screw you, "y"!)
What about "W" ????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">