• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security guard's abuse of power

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bezy9530

My brother was recently at a high school championship football game at a local university. He wanted to enter the dorms of one of his friends who attends that univeristy, but security told him that he could not do so. Upon hearing this, he said that he would leave without a fuss, but when he took out his keys, the security gaurd slapped them out of his hand, and began verbally abusing my brother, telling him that he would have to walk home in the 20 degree weather. My brother immediately said that the security guard was acting out of line, and the security guard punched my brother in the face, slapped cuffs on him and took him in the car. He was later allowed to leave. I feel that the security guard, who isn't even allowed to cary a gun...acted out of line, and I am looking to see what I can do legally in this matter. I live in New York state, and this is where the incident occured. Thank you for your help :(

bezy9530

follow up

When i say he informed the security guard that he was out of line, i'm sure that it wasn't done in the nicest way, this doesn't mean that the security has any right to use excessive force. He did tell me that he began mouthing off to him after the keys were slapped out of his hand, it's the security guard's ego which got in the way of things being taken care of properly.

BelizeBreeze

bezy9530 said:
When i say he informed the security guard that he was out of line, i'm sure that it wasn't done in the nicest way, this doesn't mean that the security has any right to use excessive force. He did tell me that he began mouthing off to him after the keys were slapped out of his hand, it's the security guard's ego which got in the way of things being taken care of properly.
And you were there right?

JETX

bezy9530 said:
My brother was recently at a high school championship football game at a local university. He wanted to enter the dorms of one of his friends who attends that univeristy, but security told him that he could not do so. Upon hearing this, he said that he would leave without a fuss, but when he took out his keys, the security gaurd slapped them out of his hand, and began verbally abusing my brother, telling him that he would have to walk home in the 20 degree weather. My brother immediately said that the security guard was acting out of line, and the security guard punched my brother in the face, slapped cuffs on him and took him in the car. He was later allowed to leave. I feel that the security guard, who isn't even allowed to cary a gun...acted out of line, and I am looking to see what I can do legally in this matter. I live in New York state, and this is where the incident occured. Thank you for your help :(
Clearly, there is FAR more to this story than you have been told.... or you are telling!!
If the version you relate here is true.... then he should IMMEDIATELY file a complaint with the security office at the school.

mycarlb

This is what I don't understand... someone is assulted by a member of security... for "no reason" :rolleyes: and does NOTHING about it... as JETX stated.. IF it happened that way, then he surely would have filed a complaint with the security guard's employer, or, as I would have done, called 911 and reported this as an assault...

Definately more to this story than is being told....

Zephyr

bezy9530 said:
Would there be a statute of limitations on this type of case in New York?
I think you brother was probaly "excited" prior withdrawing his keys, so then when he did reach into his pocket for them the security guard acted in defense- that really seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

your brother probably should just go away quietly

Zephyr

bezy9530 said:
I am talking about a certain amount of time that I have to file a lawsuit against the university.
a lawsuit for what? what damages? what crime? do you have proof?

bezy9530

A lawsuit for physical therapy bills, and pain and suffering? How does that sound? I mean, I don't really know, which is why I am posting on this site. I don't know what my options are.

jlundquist1

Upon hearing this, he said that he would leave without a fuss
My brother immediately said that the security guard was acting out of line
Who really says, "I'll leave without a fuss." & "you sir are acting out of line". And why would there be a "fuss"? I'd be more worried for your brother what the statute of limitations is on criminal trespass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">