• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security personel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

x2000

What is the name of your state? Washington

What can security personnel or other retail store employees do to detain suspected shoplifters legally.

I had a store manager confront me as I was leaving the store and asked me to return inside because he had thought that I shoplifted. I hadn't taken a thing but had a 9mm concealed in my wasteband legally and did not want this guy to start searching me and get freaked out about it. I asked him to call the police and we could clear it up, he refused and stated that he would force me inside if he needed to, he realized I wasn't going to cooperate and instructed another employee to call the police. I waited about ten minutes without further altercations, police came, explained to the officer my reluctance and upon a brief search by the officer was on my way.

Now what if I didn't want to wait and proceeded to my car and the store manager began to detain me in some way or try to force me back into the store, can I defend myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">