• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving Time Instead of Fines (Tx)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Actually I did get notified of his post and was getting ready to reply with the Texas form he should use to ask a judge to sit out his municipal fines in jail, and also to caution him that looking back on the time I spent in there it wasn't a picnic and he might want to think again. Let me know if I should post that form here or wait for another thread. -- Scofflaw
Is it a link to the form, Scofflaw? You can post it here for chris86820.

There is no need for chris to start another thread.

edit to add: It appears from chris' post that the moderator already saw this thread and is apparently letting the thread continue on.

Last edited:

ScofflawIGuess

Hi there,

I saw your post - coincidentally from right about two years ago today - about going to jail to serve time in lieu of traffic fines. I'd like to ask you a bit more about how that went down if you're willing to share. As you know, when you call the courts they often won't give you a straight answer.

Thanks! Appreciate any help you can give. If you're willing to share some more info, hit me up.
This is Texas, right? Ask the Municipal Court Clerk if there is not a "Defendant's Motion to Lay Out Fine In Jail" in their "TMCEC FORMS BOOK." I just pulled the form I used, and it is labeled that it was on page 170 of their book then, but the page number may have changed because in 2012 (three years ago, not two) they were still using the 2011 version of the TMCEC book. Anyway, if you sign it and certify you are of legal age, not under pressure, not claiming indigency, etc., the judge will probably approve it right there and send your ass in right away. The form is worded giving the judge a chance to grant or deny, but in my case -- both courts -- it was granted almost automatically. YOU NEED TO ASK YOUR COUNTY WHAT THE RULE IS ON HOW MUCH TIME PER DOLLARS OF FINE. IN MY CASE BOTH CREDITED $100 FOR EACH 24 HOURS SERVED, BUT I HAVE HEARD SOME MORE LIBERAL THAN THAT.

ALSO HEARD ONE THAT ONLY GAVE $50 A DAY CREDIT, AND THAT WOULD SUCK, BUT THAT WAS THREE YEARS AGO. AFTER YOU CONVINCE THEM TO FIND THE FORM, ASK HOW MUCH DOLLAR CREDIT PER DAY, BEFORE YOU SIGN IT. You also may get "good time" if you decide to go in, but that can vary too. One of my two jails was more liberal than the other.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">