• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A seven year old warrant, what can they do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissChevious

What is the name of your state?Ohio
Last year My husband and I found out he had a warrant out for his arrest for passing bad checks in 1997. This was before we were even married, and we have three children now. The county where his warrant was issued is about an hour and a half south of us. What he told me was he was arrested for writing bad checks (two of them), he had gone to court, and they put him on probation until his fines were paid. Well, before his fines were paid off he had let his P.O know that he was moving where we are now. I guess a year or so after he moved up here they must have issued him court papers at his old address. He never recieved them....(for not paying his fines.) We found out he had this warrant out for his arrest when we went together to get his license reinstated. They did not arrest him, but told us to call the county where the warrant was for more information. We did that and they of course told us they could not talk over the phone. His license was suspended in the same town the arrest warrant was issued, for driving without insurance. This happened before he wrote the bad checks. So my question is, is there a statute of limitations on arrest warrants....will the judge go easier on him since he hasn't been in trouble? This has been seven years ago and he has a great job and a family. If he lost his job because of this, it would be a mess. I need advice please!!

Last edited:

M

MissChevious

I didn't ask for "the obvious", now did I? It is much more complicated than," having him turn his ass back in." You obviously don't have any children or a family. Turning himself in would mean, he would loose his job, I would loose my home, my car, and I would not be able to continue my education. This worries me day in and day out, I asked for advice...not a simpleminded, snotty, sarcastic reply.

BelizeBreeze

I didn't ask for "the obvious", now did I? It is much more complicated than," having him turn his ass back in." You obviously don't have any children or a family.
Well tarnation. I am soooo sorry. I didn't read anywhere in your post about wanting advice on how to lay low until this blows over so hubby can keep his nice job, family, house and all the other things that YOU find so important.

So, in that light, here's what you do.

Divorce his ass then have him turn himself in.

Because smartass, a warrant never dies. And his butt will be in jail sooner or later. THEN you can come back here and ask why such rude people like me didn't tell you that sooner.

CdwJava

The warrant will not go away. Someday he WILL be arrested for it ... and that will be a very inconvenient time, for sure.

He has two options that I can see: Surrender, or, get an attorney and negotiate a way to turn himself in or show up in court. Since it's a probation violation, he MIGHT be able to work out a court date instead of pre-trial jail time, but there is no guarantee to that at all.

It's up to you ... live with one eye over your shoulder, or be an example for your children and confront problems responsibly.

Carl

M

MissChevious

Thank You Carl,
That was the kind of advice I was looking for. I do appreciate your post, and I am going to look into getting him an attorney, to see if we can work something out. Or, I could just divorce him. :) Thanks for the advice!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">