• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

she doesnt live there

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IFeelWronged

i live in Iowa and one of my friends got pulled over for a no seat belt and in turn got an OWI. the police found Marijuana in her car and proceded to ask where she lived. she said that she was staying on my couch and they got a search warrant for her residency (aka mine). they then found my pot and pipes and charged me with felonies. how can they get a warrant for her residece when she didnt live there??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i live in Iowa and one of my friends got pulled over for a no seat belt and in turn got an OWI. the police found Marijuana in her car and proceded to ask where she lived. she said that she was staying on my couch and they got a search warrant for her residency (aka mine). they then found my pot and pipes and charged me with felonies. how can they get a warrant for her residece when she didnt live there??
How long was she staying on your couch? Did she get mail there? Did she have stuff there?

IFeelWronged

she actually didnt even sleep a single night and as far as mail nothing until after the arrests were made. and that was from clerk of court about the case.

IFeelWronged

and im pretty sure because that it is after the fact that they cant use that particular item of mail as proof of residence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that the warrants will be found to be valid. You've got wonderful friends.

I would suggest that you only speak with your attorney about this matter.

CdwJava

She gave the location as her residence, they obtained a warrant with her residence address on it, the warrant and the contraband found will probably be good.

You are free to ask your attorney about the likelihood of a suppression motion.

I suspect that you might want to check out your deferral options for drug counseling. This might be a good opportunity to get clean and sober.

Jada_115

I suspect that the warrants will be found to be valid. You've got wonderful friends.

I would suggest that you only speak with your attorney about this matter.
Totally agree. As long as the officers believed they were acting on correct information the warrant will stand. I would still try a supression hearing, you never know what mood the judge will be in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">