• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff Deputy collects gas bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgsalas

In New Mexico can a sheriff deputy arrive at your home and try to collect a personal bill for another person without a court order?

CdwJava

In New Mexico can a sheriff deputy arrive at your home and try to collect a personal bill for another person without a court order?
Why would he do that?

I suspect that there must be some order from the court, or some other legal process which is being served by the action. I doubt that he is just showing up to supplement his pay by working for the ABC Gas company. if he is, you need to speak to his employing agency first thing in the morning.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This question is too lacking in detail. Carl - if your sister is owed money by her ex and asks you to go pick up the money, there is no problem with that - so long as you're not a representative of your department (ie: in uniform).

CdwJava

This question is too lacking in detail. Carl - if your sister is owed money by her ex and asks you to go pick up the money, there is no problem with that - so long as you're not a representative of your department (ie: in uniform).
And he would have no right playing bill collector on duty or in any way representing his employer. Hence, the reason I think that he is either honoring some kind of legal edict, or, the officer is waaay out of line.

- Carl

tgsalas

Thanks guys

He did not have a court order or any other type of legal document other than being a personal friend of the landlord, and being in his county vehicle and uniform. I contacted the sheriff dept. and they have not got back in touch with me, but the secretary told me that he was out of line but that she would ask the sheriff and get back in touch with me. A total abuse of authority in my opinion.

CdwJava

It would certainly seem to be outside of any reasonable policy even if it might be technically legal.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">