• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shootiing video

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HOUMAN

What is the name of your state? texas

Drove into a huge traffic jam and became gridlocked. Turned out a volunteer fire dept was using jaws of life to get a guy out of a car that crashed into an apartment building. He was ok according to the news crews that were on the scene. Parked in the dry cleaners across the street...they were closed as it was Christmas. About 75 to 100 people watching the whole scene. Got out my video camera and started to film from across the street...about 400ft. Next thing I know, some volunteer fire guy comes over and puts his hand over my camera and says I cant film. I start back to my car and this kid is talking to a deputy who then comes over to me and threatens to arrest me for interfering with their investigation. He said you cant show up and film wrecks. I asked about the news crews that were there and he said they had permission. I was in a crowd of people at least 400ft away across the street. Since when is it illegal to film ANYTHING in PUBLIC.

HOUMAN said:
What is the name of your state? texas

Drove into a huge traffic jam and became gridlocked. Turned out a volunteer fire dept was using jaws of life to get a guy out of a car that crashed into an apartment building. He was ok according to the news crews that were on the scene. Parked in the dry cleaners across the street...they were closed as it was Christmas. About 75 to 100 people watching the whole scene. Got out my video camera and started to film from across the street...about 400ft. Next thing I know, some volunteer fire guy comes over and puts his hand over my camera and says I cant film. I start back to my car and this kid is talking to a deputy who then comes over to me and threatens to arrest me for interfering with their investigation. He said you cant show up and film wrecks. I asked about the news crews that were there and he said they had permission. I was in a crowd of people at least 400ft away across the street. Since when is it illegal to film ANYTHING in PUBLIC.
and you found out the hard way that those powers investigating scenes do not want other evidence out there that can contradict or dispute the findings they come up with.....

garrula lingua

I don't think I would want my loved ones, (in extreme pain, grossly disheveled, etc.) filmed for the enjoyment of a person filming 'in public'.

You're a little too quick, Redemption Man, to attribute a volunteer fireman's concern (or a cop's concern) to their 'power complex' and because they do not want to be contradicted.

The request to not tape may stem from concern for a victim's privacy.

OP: If you died under those circs, would you want your loved ones (or anyone not involved in your rescue) watching your last, painful moments ?

(BS the news crew said the victim was OK - are they Drs & did the OP interview them ? I guess we all look at car accidents, but who, among us, wants to film them to replay ? There wouldn't be a profit in selling to the news media - they are on scene.
Please, out of courtesy, turn off the camera.)

CdwJava

Serious collisions - particularly fatals or those involving injured or dead and dying children - can be emotional times even for the rescuers.

Yes, if we (police and/or fire) saw someone filming someone else's tragedy we might be angry. We might even tell someone to shut the camera off even if we didn't have the legal authority to do so. Sometimes we act from emotion rather than the law. And firemen (especially volunteers) generally have less knowledge of the law and will go from their gut.

I have pulled people out of those crashes, and also have had to stand around with the mangled dead waiting for the medical examiner. It does not put you in a mood to give a rat's behind about the legality of it all - only common decency.

Yes, you probably had a legal right to film. But having a legal right to do it does not make it the right thing to do. I can't imagine any instance where I would have any desire to play back a video I made of a crash! So why record it?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">