• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifters on camera but left store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike west

state KY . I have a small shop here and was thinking about using cameras and recorders, if someone shoplifts a small item 50.00 or less and I see them when I look back on the tape days later can I still contact the police ? I was thinking that a person had to be stopped before they leave the store with the item in hand or pocket? even if that person could even be found? or even if the cameras shows them leaving with item after they pick it up the first time.What is the name of your state?KY

Last edited:

Bretagne

You should check with an attorney to see how actionable your video footage will be. I did find this, though:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/433-00/236.pdf

Looks like the officer can only detain + arrest someone if there's hot pursuit, which there wouldn't be in your case; however, if cops have probable cause looks like they can still arrest after the fact. (433.236 subd. 3)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">