• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pa78

What is the name of your state? NY

Caught shoplifting about 6 years ago, I was asked to pay a restitution fee of about $350 by the company in question. I was also asked not to visit the store for 1 year. I paid the $350 immediately and never visited the store again. The police was not called and I was not asked to go to court.

Could this possibly appear on a background check? Civil or criminal? And if so for how many years?

Last edited:

worried777

question

I am so sorry that I cannot answer your question, but I thought you could answer mine... if the police aren't called at the time of an incident, can a shoplifter be prosecuted? Your answer would be highly appreciated, thank you.

outonbail

I don't believe you could be given a criminal record by anyone outside of law enforcement arresting you and then appearing on the charges in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">