• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyman

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am being charged for shoplifting mechendise valued at $42.

I am 18 but only by a few months, and I still attend high school. My friend was also charged with me, but the offense was not premeditated. He is also 18 by about a month and still in high school. Our pleas are both guilty.

I'm a straight A student with no previous record. I am also in the midst of a messy divorce and my therapist has said that she would write a referral (not sure of correct jargon) to the courts for my case.

My question is...Do I need to hire a lawyer? I'm assuming a lawyer is going to cost about $1,000 AT LEAST and my friend and his family have chosen not to hire a lawyer. Is it possible for a lawyer to get charges dismissed or erased from my record? OR will I receive the same sentence that my friend will, even with a lawyer?

Thanks in advance,
JP

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am being charged for shoplifting mechendise valued at $42.

I am 18 but only by a few months, and I still attend high school. My friend was also charged with me, but the offense was not premeditated. He is also 18 by about a month and still in high school. Our pleas are both guilty.

I'm a straight A student with no previous record. I am also in the midst of a messy divorce and my therapist has said that she would write a referral (not sure of correct jargon) to the courts for my case.

My question is...Do I need to hire a lawyer? I'm assuming a lawyer is going to cost about $1,000 AT LEAST and my friend and his family have chosen not to hire a lawyer. Is it possible for a lawyer to get charges dismissed or erased from my record? OR will I receive the same sentence that my friend will, even with a lawyer?
Thanks in advance,
JP
No one sane can predict what will happen in your case with any degree of certainty. But yes, you will likely do better with an attorney. And yes, it'll cost you more than $42.

But I'd like to know two things:
1. What difference does it make that you are 18 plus a couple of months? Adult is adult.

2. You're going thru a messy divorce? At 18?

heyman

I do have a free consultation with an attorney later this week. An

But I've been told that my crime is really just a bunch of paperwork for the courts.

Will a lawyer really be worth the $1,000+? I geuss my question is really, can a lawyer do anything in this situation or will I basically receive the same outcome that my friend will be given (who is not hiring a lawyer).

Silverplum

My parents are going through a messy divorce.

And I know 18 is a legalized adult, but will the fact that I'm still in school have an affect on the outcome?
Dude, you are 18. That's an adult. You are an adult who is responsible for his actions and his choices. Quit trying to blame your parents -- and, by the way, you are not going thru a messy divorce: your parents are :rolleyes: -- and quit trying to use school or months or whatever go get out of trouble.

You make me tired.

fairisfair

My parents are going through a messy divorce.

And I know 18 is a legalized adult, but will the fact that I'm still in school have an affect on the outcome?
and your parents going through a divorce has made you somehow decide that it is okay to steal??? That isn't going to fly, regardless of what your therapist might say.

The fact that you are still in school will in no way affect the outcome of your conviction. EXCEPT for whatever weight a judge might place on the fact that you are a good student and that this is your first interaction with the court system.

What are you talking about, this wasn't premeditated? You mean you walked into the store and some merchandise got stuck on you by accident?? You walked in there, you saw something you wanted, you took it, and walked out. That is planning. You don't have to spend days detailing your crime for it to have been preplanned.

fairisfair

you say that "our pleas are both guilty". So you have already pled guilty to the crime? If so, then you are well aware of the punishment.

heyman

Clarification

In no way was I trying to make excuses for my actions, I was simply wanting to know if my situations would affect the trial in any way. It was not premeditated as in we didnt plan it out beforehand, it was a spur of the momment bad decision. I take responsibility for my actions, if I felt otherwise I would not be pleading guilty...

I understand the anger in your posts, after all to you I am just another delinquent, punk kid, trying to weasel himself out of the law. However, I am just looking for some advice, I don't need to be reminded of the terrible decision I made, because I understand it. I understand the general consequences of my decision. I'm simply looking for advice, if you want to give it, thanks. If you just simply wish to comment on how horrible of a decision I made and the poorness of my character, its a waste of your time, because I understand it already.

I have three questions:
1) Is there a chance that this will not appear on my record? (I'm not trying to weasel out of it, but noone goes to court looking to come out without hope of a lesser charge.)

2) What are most probable consequences for the crime?

3) Is a lawyer going to be woth the expenses? (Basically, if its a paperwork sort of thing, would it be cheaper to represent myself?)

*Side note to the poster of the following quote:
"you are not going thru a messy divorce: your parents are"
-Yeah, I used to feel the same way about kids who said they were going through a tough divorce, they're just whining. WRONG! My older brother, was college-bound high school senior, but a month after the divorce he enlists. He's in Iraq now. This divorce has been going on for 2 years, costing over $20,000 in legal fees. My college tuition is down the drain. Thats just the tangible affect, not going to go into emotional. I'm not looking for pity or remorse, I just hope this gives you a slightly different perspective.

Last edited:

Silverplum

In no way was I trying to make excuses for my actions, I was simply wanting to know if my situations would affect the trial in any way. It was not premeditated as in we didnt plan it out beforehand, it was a spur of the momment bad decision. I take responsibility for my actions, if I felt otherwise I would not be pleading guilty...

I understand the anger in your posts, after all to you I am just another delinquent, punk kid, trying to weasel himself out of the law. However, I am just looking for some advice, I don't need to be reminded of the terrible decision I made, because I understand it. I understand the general consequences of my decision. I'm simply looking for advice, if you want to give it, thanks. If you just simply wish to comment on how horrible of a decision I made and the poorness of my character, its a waste of your time, because I understand it already.

I have three questions:
1) Is there a chance that this will not appear on my record? (I'm not trying to weasel out of it, but no one goes to court WANTING to get charged.)

2) What are most probable consequences for the crime?

3) Is a lawyer going to be woth the expenses? (Basically, if its a paperwork sort of thing, would it be cheaper to represent myself?)
It's so funny, all kids your age use that excuse to avoid *hearing* about the poorness of their decisions. You actually made me LOL. So common, so stupid. :p :rolleyes:

heyman said:
*Side note to the poster of the following quote:
"you are not going thru a messy divorce: your parents are"
-Yeah, I used to feel the same way about kids who said they were going through a tough divorce, they're just whining. WRONG! My older brother, was college-bound high school senior, but a month after the divorce he enlists. He's in Iraq now. This has been going on for 2 years, costing over $20,000 in legal fees. My college tuition is down the drain. Thats just the tangible affect, not going to go into emotional. I'm not looking for pity or remorse, I just hope this gives you a slightly different perspective.
Naw, no new perspective. My son recently returned from Iraq. Maybe I should put that in my sig, and folks will be more understanding...:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">