• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ccadams1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I just got Caught trying to sholift stupid I know , but it was only $32 item , I gave it back , the man called the cops he said he wants to press charges , but the cop only took my info and the store employs info and my number and said I would have to show up for court , what charges and peniltys am I looking at , he didn't make me sign anything and didn't get fingerprinted just took name n number what happens now I'm nervouze and pregnant and emotional wreck

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I just got Caught trying to sholift stupid I know , but it was only $32 item , I gave it back , the man called the cops he said he wants to press charges , but the cop only took my info and the store employs info and my number and said I would have to show up for court , what charges and peniltys am I looking at , he didn't make me sign anything and didn't get fingerprinted just took name n number what happens now I'm nervouze and pregnant and emotional wreck
Here are links to Indiana's shoplifting laws:

http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/indiana-shoplifting-laws/

http://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-35-criminal-law-and-procedure/in-code-sect-35-43-4-2.html

For theft of an item valued at $32, you are facing a Class A misdemeanor. A conviction on a Class A misdemeanor can come with jail time of up to a year and fines up to $5000.

You will need to appear in court on the scheduled date and time. You can consult with an attorney prior to the hearing. If you are nervous, pregnant and an emotional wreck just at the thought of appearing in court, it would be smart to have an attorney with you when you go to court. It is possible that the Class A misdemeanor can be reduced.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You need a lawyer as soon as you get the papers about your court date. Theft is a felony at any value, though there is some chance at at this value, you might only get charged with criminal conversion. Either way, you could (though unlikely) go to jail. It will certainly cost you a lot of money in fines, costs, and legal fees. YOu can also expect the store is independently going to come after you for a few hundred dollars in civil damages.

quincy

You need a lawyer as soon as you get the papers about your court date. Theft is a felony at any value, though there is some chance at at this value, you might only get charged with criminal conversion. Either way, you could (though unlikely) go to jail. It will certainly cost you a lot of money in fines, costs, and legal fees. YOu can also expect the store is independently going to come after you for a few hundred dollars in civil damages.
No. Theft is not a "felony at any value." It is a Class A misdemeanor to shoplift an item with a value under $750.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

No. Theft is not a "felony at any value." It is a Class A misdemeanor to shoplift an item with a value under $750.
You are quite right (as long as a firearm was not used and the person does not have theft/conversion priors). What I said was correct a few years back (it was either a class D or C felonies). The whole section of the code was revised in 2014. This is what I get for using google rather than FastCase to look up the statues.

quincy

You are quite right (as long as a firearm was not used and the person does not have theft/conversion priors). What I said was correct a few years back (it was either a class D or C felonies). The whole section of the code was revised in 2014. This is what I get for using google rather than FastCase to look up the statues.
Indiana takes theft crimes pretty seriously.

Although a misdemeanor charge is less serious than a felony charge, a conviction on either would still leave Ccadams1 with a criminal record. Having a criminal record can affect Ccadams1 in all sorts of bad ways so I agree with you that Ccadams1 would be smart to hire an attorney.

And I agree with you that the store can also sue Ccadams1 to recover civil damages.

It would have been far less costly for Ccadams1 to have purchased instead of pocketed the $32 item. I am sure she realizes that now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">