• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsoknow826

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am a 19 year old femalecollege student, and was arrested today at the mall for shoplifting $154 of clothing. Taken to jail, sat in there for about an hour, saw judge, and I am facing a first offense misdemeanor charge. They released me on bail and I have a court date next week to see the judge again. This is very scary and upsetting to me as I have NO PRIOR CRIMINAL HISTORY, nothing, not even a parking ticket. So now the question is whether to get an attorney. My maximum penalty I believe is 5 yrs prison, and/or $1000 fine (I THINK), but he said both are very rare, also because I was cooperative and gave the merchandise back. If I hire an attorney, well, I do not have a lot of money, but I would be willing to if I will be able to plead not guilty and get charges dropped. What kind of money are we talking for an attorney for an offense? If worse comes to worse I woud be able to handle being on probabtion or something because I am not scard out of my mind and probably wont even go into a mall again for months. What are the chances of me going to jail or having to pay a really expensive fine? Would it be worth getting an attorney price wise? I just really dont wanna go to jail =( Any advice will be MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank you so much for your time, I am very thankful your it! Thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

itsoknow826 said:

I am a 19 year old femalecollege student, and was arrested today at the mall for shoplifting $154 of clothing. Taken to jail, sat in there for about an hour, saw judge, and I am facing a first offense misdemeanor charge. They released me on bail and I have a court date next week to see the judge again. This is very scary and upsetting to me as I have NO PRIOR CRIMINAL HISTORY, nothing, not even a parking ticket.
which means you have not been caught before.
So now the question is whether to get an attorney.
that is a personal decision.
My maximum penalty I believe is 5 yrs prison, and/or $1000 fine (I THINK), but he said both are very rare, also because I was cooperative and gave the merchandise back. If I hire an attorney, well, I do not have a lot of money, but I would be willing to if I will be able to plead not guilty and get charges dropped.
You're living in a dream world.
What kind of money are we talking for an attorney for an offense?
From $5 for a yellow pages ad to $5,000 retainer for my attorney and that doesn't count court time and costs.
If worse comes to worse I woud be able to handle being on probabtion or something because I am not scard out of my mind and probably wont even go into a mall again for months.
See? You're already waivering. NEVER means never but you also said a few months. So you haven't learned anything.
What are the chances of me going to jail or having to pay a really expensive fine?
from 0 to 100%
Would it be worth getting an attorney price wise?
Again, a personal decision.
I just really dont wanna go to jail =( Any advice will be MUCH APPRECIATED.
then you should stop stealing.
Thank you so much for your time, I am very thankful your it! Thanks again.
you're welcome.

Oh, and now the good news. Even if you do get off with probation and a small fine, look for a nice letter from the store from which you stole demanding anywhere from $100 to $500 for 'civil recovery'. It's their right to sue you for them expending resources in catching and prosecuting you and if you don't pay it you WILL get sued and have a judgement against you.

See what happens when you steal?

smutlydog

itsoknow826 said:

I am a 19 year old femalecollege student, and was arrested today at the mall for shoplifting $154 of clothing. Taken to jail, sat in there for about an hour, saw judge, and I am facing a first offense misdemeanor charge. They released me on bail and I have a court date next week to see the judge again. This is very scary and upsetting to me as I have NO PRIOR CRIMINAL HISTORY, nothing, not even a parking ticket. So now the question is whether to get an attorney. My maximum penalty I believe is 5 yrs prison, and/or $1000 fine (I THINK), but he said both are very rare, also because I was cooperative and gave the merchandise back. If I hire an attorney, well, I do not have a lot of money, but I would be willing to if I will be able to plead not guilty and get charges dropped. What kind of money are we talking for an attorney for an offense? If worse comes to worse I woud be able to handle being on probabtion or something because I am not scard out of my mind and probably wont even go into a mall again for months. What are the chances of me going to jail or having to pay a really expensive fine? Would it be worth getting an attorney price wise? I just really dont wanna go to jail =( Any advice will be MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank you so much for your time, I am very thankful your it! Thanks again.
You don't understand what the real punishment in all this is. Although most employers want to know about felony convictions you better hope they don't do a background check on you that involves arrest records. This could be a life sentence with regard to you arrest record depending on what state you are in. On the other hand most employers are rather foolish on how they make these decisions. Many times they will hire someone recently convicted of shoplifting before they consider someone with a 20 year old felony conviction that had nothing to do with stealing.
The funny thing is few businesses that accept credit cards for payment will hire someone like me but since being convicted of a felony I have had 3 different merchant accounts for businesses that I have owned. I would have a hard time trusting someone with a shoplifting arrest record with my credit card machines especially if the arrest was recent.

hire an attorney as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Jaquin1234

Do not hesitate about hiring an attoney and ask him for expungment possibility (offered in some states for first time offenders); yuo do not want a criminal record because it will limit your job prospectives in the future. I guesstimatge an attorney will handle this for $1500, which is a good deal considering the potential damage (jail, probation, fines, criminal history, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">