• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting - Civil Demand or Criminal Charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awalsh

Yesterday I foolishly tried shoplifting a $25 item from Sephora in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I just turned 19. This is unlike me and I really don't know what I was thinking, I feel awful and can't think about anything else. I was caught by in-store security and taken to the office where she began taking my information (address, soc security, etc - pretty much everything on my driver's license) and then a few mall security guards showed up too.

The woman made it sound like I'd be getting a misdemeanor, and I signed some papers (one agreeing not to enter the store again, the other, I'm not sure - it all happened very fast and I was trying to keep a panic attack at bay as I suffer from some anxiety problems). As I was doing this, one of the security guards was calling the police, and I believe he gave them my info, but they did not come to the store and arrest me. The security people seemed very pleased with how cooperative I was and asked if it was my first offense. The woman was very kind and even assured me that she'd try to use my school address rather than my home address so my parents would not have to know. I even told her the date I'd be returning to Chicago. She took my photo, and I was then released.

What I really want to know is what to expect - since the police didn't come and arrest me, am I going to get a court date and be charged, or have some sort of warrant out for me? Or should I just expect to get a civil demand from Sephora? I've been trying to do some research on my situation and if I can, I'd like to take responsibility for my stupid mistake and handle it on my own, because I am legally an adult and should act like one. However, since I am a full-time college student in Chicago and have no job, if I do have to go to court, I highly doubt I can deal with all the fines and getting a public defender. I just really want to know what to expect so I can make the decision whether to tell my parents or not. I'm considering calling Sephora and asking to speak with the woman who dealt with me just for some clarification on the situation - would that be inappropriate?

Also, I feel that it is important to mention that when I was 17 I was involved in an underage drinking misdemeanor (MIP) but followed the steps necessary (probation, community service, etc) to take care of it and have it cleared off my public record. If I'm charged for this shoplifting incident, will that make a difference in what happens to me?
Any help is very much appreciated, thank you so much - I just want to be able to make rational decisions about what to do instead of flipping out and achieving nothing. The not knowing whether I'm going to be charged or just get a civil demand is killing me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">