• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting at Dillards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chat2smiley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
hi
i shoplifted from Dillards and while still in the store i went ahead and gave the cashier a bill of my previous purchase which i wanted to return...she suspected me of shoplifting and before anything i just ran out of the store...the bill has my credit card details....i feel miserable for doing this......with the credit card details will i be caught /any action taken agianst me? this happened in TX and i stay in WA...i am scared for doing a petty thing like this...what can i do now? is there any way to escape from it?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
hi
i shoplifted from Dillards and while still in the store i went ahead and gave the cashier a bill of my previous purchase which i wanted to return...she suspected me of shoplifting and before anything i just ran out of the store...the bill has my credit card details....i feel miserable for doing this......with the credit card details will i be caught /any action taken agianst me? this happened in TX and i stay in WA...i am scared for doing a petty thing like this...what can i do now? is there any way to escape from it?
We can't tell you what will happen, the Free Advice Crystal Ball is on vacation.

You are an idiot for doing what you did. Now you just get to play the wait and see game.

dave33

Well you will have to wait and see.Was the shoplifted item in plain view? Did they ask you to stop? Sounds like a tough case for them to prove.If you do get arrested for this, don't make any statement. Certainly do not confess. Do not believe any statements made to you. They wouldn't need to ask you questions if they had enough evidence.If, the item wasn't in plain view and they don't have proof you concealed something in the store you might be o.k. Most likely a lot will depend on how you handle it from this point forward. goodluck.

chat2smiley

the shoplifted item was not in plain view...nor on cameras..the lady behind the desk just got suspicious...before anything could happen i ran out of the store....so on cameras i might be seen running like a crazy dog ...and the other problem is that they might have the credit card details...is it possible to locate a person with credit card details?i am very scared...as i am new to this country...and would not want to get into any legal issues ...pls help me !!

dave33

I am sure you can be located with the details, but so what. Suspected shoplifting from a store clerk isn't enough for an arrest warrant. If there isn't much going on in your town they might question you. But, you just say you were having an episode and felt you were in mortal danger and had to leave immediately(or something like that).Anyway you get the point.From what you have said, the only confirmation of criminal activity came from your own statement.So, try not to repeat that statement with a detective and a tape recorder.goodluck.

ahskid

I have been lurking this forum for over a year. This forum just interests me.

I don't know about others... but dave33, you give terrible legal advice.

I'm aware I didn't contribute to this thread, but I had to say something.

dave33

Well than please enlighten us. What's your advice? Let me guess "do the right thing and return the item and apologize to the manager while making a statement to the police",or better yet turn yourself in to the local authorities and offer to make full restitution plus interest plus compensate the clerk for emotional distress.No?that's not it? well than what?

Ozark_Sophist

Well than please enlighten us. What's your advice? Let me guess "do the right thing and return the item and apologize to the manager while making a statement to the police",or better yet turn yourself in to the local authorities and offer to make full restitution plus interest plus compensate the clerk for emotional distress.No?that's not it? well than what?
Right. This is a free advice legal forum -- not a free advice moral forum.

Yertle8

But, you just say you were having an episode and felt you were in mortal danger and had to leave immediately(or something like that).
Earlier you said not to make a statement, I think that's a better idea. If they ask if they can ask you a few questions, you say 'I'm sorry, I have nothing to say.'

OP, if you appreciate our advice, and it keeps you out of trouble, do us a favor: don't steal from stores while you're here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">