• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting - first offense - advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irritatedinPA

In PA -

Picked up yesterday (not arrested) for shoplifting. Amount was less than 150. Was not caught, was basically stonewalled into admittance. Clerk says return the items and cops wont be called. Cops were definitely called, took my ID, and told me I would receive a summary citation in the mail. Afterwards would need to get finger printed etc. I was free to go.

There is no proof other than her word against mine, and the fact that I complied.

Should I plead guilty, pay the $100 fine and be done, or obtain a lawyer and not plead guilty?

Any experience with this?

Silverplum

In PA -

Picked up yesterday (not arrested) for shoplifting. Amount was less than 150. Was not caught, was basically stonewalled into admittance. Clerk says return the items and cops wont be called. Cops were definitely called, took my ID, and told me I would receive a summary citation in the mail. Afterwards would need to get finger printed etc. I was free to go.

There is no proof other than her word against mine, and the fact that I complied.

Should I plead guilty, pay the $100 fine and be done, or obtain a lawyer and not plead guilty?

Any experience with this?
You're irritated?

Well, then.

FlyingRon

Guess what? Store owners are allowed to lie to you. So are the cops. You're lucky you're in Pennsylvania facing the summary offense which is just a fine, no criminal record, and expungeable in five years (provided you stop being a sociopath).

What possible offense do you think you have? Witness testimony is always more compelling than a defendant saying he didn't do it. Further, there appears to be further proof that you returned the stolen item. I bet you probably signed something as well, eh?

Oh, and you're likely to get further irritated when the store's "lawyers" send you a civil demand to cover the damages people like you cause them.

You can consult with an attorney, but I think you'll find that the costs for this are likely to push into the range a thousand bucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">