• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting From Home Depot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanjose408

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I was caught shoplifting a pair of gloves from Home Depot. Big mistake, I should have purchased them rightfully for the price of $20.00. I am facing the consequences for my action. I gave them my drivers license info, AND Social security number because they threatened to call the police. I said ok, call the police. They pretended to call, and they didn't come. So I caved in and gave my social.

Home Depot released me and gave me a letter from Palmer, Reifler and Associates, P.A.

This company, so I've heard, demands, $200-$300, which I am willing to pay. However, I believe I will have to go before a judge nonetheless. I would like to have a lawyer represent me, just to make sure this doesn't haunt me for the rest of my life.
I am concerned with the costs of discussing this with a lawyer, or having him/her represent me.

I'm a student, and I gave them a mailbox number which I will not have access to indefinitely. I hope I am able to contact
Palmer, Reifler and Associates, P.A. via email or phone if needed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I was caught shoplifting a pair of gloves from Home Depot. Big mistake, I should have purchased them rightfully for the price of $20.00. I am facing the consequences for my action. I gave them my drivers license info, AND Social security number because they threatened to call the police. I said ok, call the police. They pretended to call, and they didn't come. So I caved in and gave my social.

Home Depot released me and gave me a letter from Palmer, Reifler and Associates, P.A.

This company, so I've heard, demands, $200-$300, which I am willing to pay. However, I believe I will have to go before a judge nonetheless. I would like to have a lawyer represent me, just to make sure this doesn't haunt me for the rest of my life.
I am concerned with the costs of discussing this with a lawyer, or having him/her represent me.

I'm a student, and I gave them a mailbox number which I will not have access to indefinitely. I hope I am able to contact
Palmer, Reifler and Associates, P.A. via email or phone if needed.
For a civil demand you will not go in front of a judge necessarily. Nor are you entitled to counsel for a civil demand. YOU can still be charged criminally and why shouldn't you be? You are after all a criminal. You are not facing all of the possible consequences of your actions and have gotten off easily quite frankly. Go hire an attorney and try to fight the civil demand. In addition, realize that by giving the store an address at which you cannot be reached "indefinitely" you may end up charged criminally.

FlyingRon

It may not have been "pretend." In some jurisdictions, they aren't going to send cops out to arrest shoplifters. Home Depot will make a complaint and you'll get summonsed to appear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">