• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be worried?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chipster

A friend of mine's house was recently raided by police because of his roommate's irresponsibility. He informed me that the police "scanned" his phone. He and I have exchanged text messages recently about some relatively petty criminal activity. Is it possible for the police to get a search warrant or take any action against me based on text messages that we have exchange?

CdwJava

A friend of mine's house was recently raided by police because of his roommate's irresponsibility. He informed me that the police "scanned" his phone. He and I have exchanged text messages recently about some relatively petty criminal activity. Is it possible for the police to get a search warrant or take any action against me based on text messages that we have exchange?
Yes, it is possible. How possible might depend on what else they know or can articulate, and what the content of the messages might be. If you guys texted about a specific offense or where the loot from an offense was, then they very likely can act on those messages if they can corroborate that a crime occurred.

Here's your chance to straighten up and go straight. Stop breaking the law ... it really is not that hard.

chipster

If I am contacted I think I can deal with the situation. I guess my real concern is an officer showing up at my door with a search warrant and ripping my house apart. If any action is being taken, will I be notified or called in for questioning? Does a text message justify a warrant?

CdwJava

If I am contacted I think I can deal with the situation. I guess my real concern is an officer showing up at my door with a search warrant and ripping my house apart. If any action is being taken, will I be notified or called in for questioning? Does a text message justify a warrant?
As I said, it might. Since we have no way to know what was contained in the text message and what the cops might know or believe, we have no way to know whether the texts will provide enough info to support an affidavit for a search warrant.

Oh, and chances are they will not telegraph their intent to serve a search warrant on you. You may never know it's coming until they are there.

chipster

Well, that's all the convincing I need. I don't wanna go down that road. I'm cleaning up my act and hoping that my place doesn't get ransacked in the meantime. Thanks for the advice guys.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Maybe it's also a good time to move out. Not to avoid a search warrant but to avoid further "problems" with your room mate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">