• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Show cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Poor_Centrifuga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas/Kentucky
Hello, I had community service due but was in jail two months prior to the due date and on the due date and about a week afterwards in texas which is also where the community service was due. I was given a show cause hearing but have since moved to kentucky and do not have the funds to travel back to Texas for the hearing is there anyway I can get it moved to my current state of residence? If not since I don't have the means to get back what would you suggest I do? (if this is in the wrong topic I apologize)
-Poor_Centerifuga

CdwJava

No, you cannot get the venue changed to another state. If you fail to complete the terms of your sentence or appear in court, you can expect a warrant to be issued for your arrest. If a warrant is issued, extradition s possible. Additionally, you may well find that gainful employment will be elusive, police contacts/detentions/arrests may increase, and you may not be eligible for government backed loans and many types of welfare assistance.

It is not a good idea to live life as a fugitive. Your first priority should be to take care of this matter lest it hang over your head forever.

OHRoadwarrior

Really, you just decided to move to KY with outstanding legal issues in Texas and think there is a way to make them go away, without completing the courts order? You go back to TX and fix this. There is no other solution.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas/Kentucky
Hello, I had community service due but was in jail two months prior to the due date and on the due date and about a week afterwards in texas which is also where the community service was due. I was given a show cause hearing but have since moved to kentucky and do not have the funds to travel back to Texas for the hearing is there anyway I can get it moved to my current state of residence? If not since I don't have the means to get back what would you suggest I do? (if this is in the wrong topic I apologize)
-Poor_Centerifuga
You might try calling either the prosecuting attorney's office in the county where your case is on file or the Texas Community Service Program and ask about having you commitment transferred and to be fulfilled in Kentucky.

CdwJava

It sounds as if he has failed to appear at a court hearing - that's not likely to be able to be handled with a call to the DA's office.

Poor_Centrifuga

It sounds as if he has failed to appear at a court hearing - that's not likely to be able to be handled with a call to the DA's office.
I was in jail at the time of the hearing and got the show hearing notice the day before I was set to leave I would've stayed if I could have but I was moving with family and needed a place to sleep.

I'mTheFather

Well, the good news is that if you're extradited, the travel back to Texas won't cost you a penny. Neither will the lodging.

CavemanLawyer

Actually the cost of the extradition will be added to his sentence in the form of restitution. Even if he is sent to prison over this the State of Texas will still make attempts to collect.

He cannot call the DA's office. Prosecutors cannot talk to defendants directly unless they waive an attorney, and that has to happen in court and be approved by the Judge in a formal hearing.

If you truly cannot afford to return to Texas then all you can do is call your probation officer and just tell them that. A warrant absolutely is going to be issued for your arrest. If you are eventually arrested and extradited back to Texas at least you can argue that you would have returned but just didn't have the means. It still doesn't absolve you of your duty to complete community service and it definitely doesn't excuse you moving to Kentucky. Apparently you were also in jail on another matter too so it sounds like there are multiple grounds that will be used to file a motion to revoke your probation. There really is no advice to give you. You cannot negotiate anything about this case without going to court in Texas. The closest thing you could do is hire an attorney in the Texas county of prosecution and see if they can handle things on your behalf but most DA's offices have a policy of not negotiating with fugitives while they are at large.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">