• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling commited suicide on arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moomoo

What is the name of your state? NC

They commited suicide while the police tried to arrest them. Do I just move on to inheritance or is there going to be some bs involved?

Moomoo

They commited suicide as the police tried to arrest them for drugs. I am in line to inherit. Are the police going to be a problem?

Just Blue

They commited suicide as the police tried to arrest them for drugs. I am in line to inherit. Are the police going to be a problem?
Why would the police be a problem with your inheritance? Unless you are "inheriting" your brothers drug cartel?

Edit to add: There actually MAY be problems if the items you are to inherit were paid for with drug money....

I am sure others will post to this matter.

Moomoo

I don't know if they will try to seize his house or whatever? gezz. Drug laws are so hitler I didn't know what to expect.

He didn't deal drugs. Just used...

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

Did your sibling have a legal will? Has probate been opened? The executor of the will is the individual responsible for managing your siblings estate -- including defending the estate from seizure.

CdwJava

You may wish to consult a probate attorney. Theer are always issues involved in cases where there is no will ... there could be creditors or other family members that will show up, etc. Even WITH a will, probate generally has to occur.

- Carl

nextwife

Why would the police be a problem with your inheritance? Unless you are "inheriting" your brothers drug cartel?

Edit to add: There actually MAY be problems if the items you are to inherit were paid for with drug money....

I am sure others will post to this matter.

Yup. Assets which can be shown to be the result of drug sales may be seizable by the authorities.

Any assets that may be subject to probate would be distributed, through probate. You have not stated if he had children, joint assets accounts with a wife or girlfriend, etc.

This is a nifty NC intestate "calculator":
http://www.northcarolinawill.com/index.htm Look at the intestate links.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">