• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signed contract headed to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zarembisty

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

Hi,

I recently have been involved in a partnership that dissolved. At the end of the partnership after our only bank account was closed by my partner, we sold our furniture to a third party. That third party wrote a check out to me personally (not the name of the partnership) and was supposed to write 3 more checks in the same manner. Now my former partner claims that because the checks were written out to me and not the partnership I can be put in jail and I should be careful because State Police could knock on my door at any time. Is there any truth in these allegations? Does the fact that I had the checks written out to me (due to the fact that we would have no way of cashing them otherwise) put me in any jeopardy?

Thanks,

Z

Litigation!

zarembisty said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

Hi,

I recently have been involved in a partnership that dissolved. At the end of the partnership after our only bank account was closed by my partner, we sold our furniture to a third party. That third party wrote a check out to me personally (not the name of the partnership) and was supposed to write 3 more checks in the same manner. Now my former partner claims that because the checks were written out to me and not the partnership I can be put in jail and I should be careful because State Police could knock on my door at any time. Is there any truth in these allegations? Does the fact that I had the checks written out to me (due to the fact that we would have no way of cashing them otherwise) put me in any jeopardy?

Thanks,

Z

My response:

It's a good thing that you're no longer in business with the other guy. He's an idiot.

IAAL

Litigation!

zarembisty said:
I figured as much ;) , but I would still like to know if legally I have anything to worry about.

My response:

From a Civil Action point of view, perhaps. He has to sue you. But, one thing is sure - - this isn't a criminal matter. No Officer will be knocking at your door to haul you away to jail. That's ludicrous. The guy is an idiot if he really believes that.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">