• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

simple assault charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concerned Mom48

What is the name of your state? NJ

my son had a fight with his girlfriend at the park down the street from my home, she was hitting him, he left came home to get his dad to go to her house to get his car that was thier, they were in her car at the park. He walked up to our home got in his dads truck with dad, and a multitude of cops arrive and the screaming girlfriend , as she had threatend to damage his car, thtas why he wanted to go get his car. The cops blocked the street really unessacery, but bottom line an off duty cop saw her hitting him, they arrested her and sked my son , who was now the victim to come down and answer some questions, the officer told my husband and myself, just gonna talk to him he is not arrested. Within a half hour I went to pick up my son and they said he was arrested for simple assaut, an un identified witness came forwad? How can I handle this, court is days away, I can not afford an attorney, what is theworst that can happen? Should I speak to the Judge on my sons behalf, with what I just told you?

rsvp asap mom:confused:

Happy Trails

concerned Mom48 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

my son had a fight with his girlfriend at the park down the street from my home, she was hitting him, he left came home to get his dad to go to her house to get his car that was thier, they were in her car at the park. He walked up to our home got in his dads truck with dad, and a multitude of cops arrive and the screaming girlfriend , as she had threatend to damage his car, thtas why he wanted to go get his car. The cops blocked the street really unessacery, but bottom line an off duty cop saw her hitting him, they arrested her and sked my son , who was now the victim to come down and answer some questions, the officer told my husband and myself, just gonna talk to him he is not arrested. Within a half hour I went to pick up my son and they said he was arrested for simple assaut, an un identified witness came forwad? How can I handle this, court is days away, I can not afford an attorney, what is theworst that can happen? Should I speak to the Judge on my sons behalf, with what I just told you?

rsvp asap mom:confused:
2C:12-1. Assault. a. Simple assault.

A person is guilty of assault if he:

(1) purposely, knowingly or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury to another,
(2) negligently causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon, or
(3) attempting by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.

Simple assault is a disorderly persons offense punishable by imprisonment for up to six months, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

fairisfair

what would you possibly have to say to the judge? You were not a witness to what happened at the park, and the police officers already witnessed, themselves, what happened at your home.

magic55

Does the ex girlfriend claim that he hit her or just a witness? What did the witness claim? You should most likely be able to reach a deal on this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">