• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Pub Intox/Criminal Mischief question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cycloned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

over the weekend I was at a bar in Iowa w/ friends in a downtown area, lots of bars ect. Wasnt feeling well so I went out into this big parking lot and sat down and waited for them, I fell asleep, woke up and there was a police officer, she arrested me for public intox and criminal mischief (not sure why I got that, i was literally just leaning up against a piece of construction equipment). All I have on my record are speeding tickets ect. Im 29. I was curious as to how I could get a copy of the police report to see why they gave me criminal mischief, the public intox is fine because I was intoxicated and in public. My 2nd question is do I need to get a lawyer to get them to drop the mischief thing? Or can I just ask them to drop it if I plead guilty to the intox. I dont know if this matters but I paid like $600 to get out.

There was a bunch of stuff going on while I was in lockup and nobody to ask questions to.

Thanks.

OHRoadwarrior

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF DEFINED.
Any damage, defacing, alteration, or destruction of property is
criminal mischief when done intentionally by one who has no right to
so act.
I guess I'm not going to ask what you may have done that qualified.

cycloned

You need to see the report. You blacked out, you did not fall asleep. What did you do before closing down?
I honestly dont think I blacked out, Ive never "blacked out" and am not a big drinker I guess. The only thing I can think of is that I was sitting by a flower bed type of deal on the street and when I walked over to the police officer I walked through it I guess. Maybe thats what they are thinking of. A friend suggested perhaps it was due to me leaning/laying next to private property and perhaps if they found damage I would be liable for it. That is part of my question, how do I see the report? Id be more than happy to pay for some flowers or whatever Im guilty of. Sorry for being ignorant but Ive never been in any trouble so I dont know how one would go about getting the info.

tranquility

Um hmm, guess the number of times I have "fell asleep" in a public place.

But, yes. Walking through a flower bed could very well be criminal mischief. Have you ever done such a thing sober?

As to the report, that is had in discovery. You need a criminal attorney.

cycloned

Um hmm, guess the number of times I have "fell asleep" in a public place.

But, yes. Walking through a flower bed could very well be criminal mischief. Have you ever done such a thing sober?

As to the report, that is had in discovery. You need a criminal attorney.
im not debating as to whether or not I was intoxicated, I certainly was. Im just trying to figure out where to get the report, thanks for your cryptic answers, they were of a great deal of help.

OHRoadwarrior

im not debating as to whether or not I was intoxicated, I certainly was. Im just trying to figure out where to get the report, thanks for your cryptic answers, they were of a great deal of help.
Cryptic is the only answer we can give. We weren't there sober or not.

LeeHarveyBlotto

You asked if you need a lawyer. You were given the correct answer, which is "yes". Sorry if that's too cryptic, but it's still the correct and only answer to the question.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">